Gigabyte Z170-HD3 Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think SATA-E is going away, for the simple reason that it has two SATA ports built-in. People will continue to use off-board drives for a while, and most of that will not be U.2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus was first I saw to deliver DDR3 Z170 boards to sellers, but that board costs a little more. The price difference is actually more than the difference between 8GB of DDR3 and 8GB of DDR4.

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
so, I noticed that at manual book cover have GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 naming
could it be that Gigabyte have DDR3 supported on Z170 based mainboard?
it would be nice to see that substantial information in this article !

I don't think SATA-E is going away, for the simple reason that it has two SATA ports built-in. People will continue to use off-board drives for a while, and most of that will not be U.2

Yes, but who would get something in a SATA Express version when they would most likely get a regular SATA connection for a 6Gbps SSD or M.2/U.2 for a PCI Express version?

Surely the money spent on incorporating SATA Express - whether its just R&D, firmware, physical connectors, etc. - would be better spent on incorporating something that will actual be useful to the consumer in the future.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

ASRock and Asus are implementing the PCIe section for other devices such as front-panel USB 3.1.

U.2 looks like a far-off proposition for onboard connectors due to its consumption of four SATA ports in a market flooded with single-port drives. I expect that M.2 to U.2 adapters will fill that role for quite a while the persistence of single SATA ports leads to the preservation of SATA-E.

zzzxtreme

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
hi guys. noob here.

so, I can just get this motherboard, add some Kingston value ram, and those new Samsung ssd (m.2 slot), a dvdrw, skylake cpu, psu, monitor and I'm good to go ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You need a power supply.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I have a kind of question about something. Is it true that you can get a higher resolution with 4k through a Display Port Video option? I think I read this when looking at some specifications on new monitors. They were also touting the benefits of HDMI with something called MHL? It is supose to carry sound and his powered for plugging in mobile devices like a tablet into a monitor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're supposed to be able to buy adapter housings that support two M.2 SSDs, but you can't, and now that M.2 is faster than SATA-E it looks almost like a dead end. U.2 replaces it.

That doesn't make it completely worthless though. Some companies are using the PCIe side for front-panel USB 3.1 adapters

Msata, M.2, ultraM.2, all of them getting faster so, my question is: if I buy a M.2 SSD it will be compatible in future chipsets?
I say that cause I see its not backward compatible, for instance Msata is for Z77 only, So Im afraid of buying it(M.2, or UM.2) and when I change the mobo in the future I can not keep it due to incompatibility.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

mSATA works with all SATA chipsets, you can get an adapter box to run it in a bay instead of onboard and I've even seen M.2 to SATA adapters. M.2 has both SATA and PCIe, so even if M.2 went away you could use a PCIe adapter card to host the drive.

Thanks. Tha is a good solution, but I ment native compatibility on future mobos, for instance a PCIe adapter card cost 40 bucks in my contry, also I must carry more stuff with the mobo when the real deal with M.2 SSDs is just plug it in the M.2 slot in order to have more space, easy instalation and confort. So at the end if I dont have native support, I will be lossing some M.2 technology’s adventage(it’s almost hiden at mobo structure).
Of course you may think Im killing the cat when he hasn’t atack me yet(M.2 seems more lasting than MSata).

gkdiamond

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
What mobo would the next step up be ? I want usb 3.1 gen 2.

Thanks
The next step up Gigabyte Motherboard you are looking for is the GA-Z170-HD3P. This one has the USB 3.1 ASMedia controller and has one USB 3.1 gen 2 type-A and one USB 3.1 gen 2 type-C port on the rear panel.

sprsk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What mobo would the next step up be ? I want usb 3.1 gen 2.

Thanks
The next step up Gigabyte Motherboard you are looking for is the GA-Z170-HD3P. This one has the USB 3.1 ASMedia controller and has one USB 3.1 gen 2 type-A and one USB 3.1 gen 2 type-C port on the rear panel.

The Gigabyte Z170-HD3P has all u need . The only downside Its the LAN and AUDIO controller ...
If u can spend some more ... go for GA-Z170XP-SLI
and u get
+ Realtek® ALC1150 codec
+ Intel® GbE LAN chip
+ 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8
+ Support for 3-Way/2-Way AMD CrossFire and 2-Way NVIDIA® SLI Technology
+ 1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It supports DDR4. If it supported DDR3, that would have been in the title.

Skylake supports low-voltage DDR3 as a secondary option, but the processor's moderately-high voltage tolerance has encouraged most manufactures of consumer DDR3L boards to include standard DDR3 support in firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.