[SOLVED] Gigabyte z170n gaming 5 itx OverClocking help

taimur_111

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I have z170 system that I want to Overclock. My 6700k is still running solid. I was thinking to upgrade to 9700K or Ryzen 3800x. But the increase in gaming performance is minimal so I thought to stick with my current setup for another year.

I am absolutely a noob in overclocking. I use Gigabyte's automatic OC for my CPU and it gets to 4.4GHz. If i try 4.5 it crashes in windows.
I followed youtube video where the guy has same chipset motherboard and I OC'd to 4.5GHz with vcore = 1.330 but system was not stable (tried increasing vcore too)

Maybe my CPU is not good enough to be pushed anything above 4.4? I have seen people OC'd to 4.6 with air cooler without any problem.

here is my BIOS OC page image:
View: https://imgur.com/sZ799Yx

My specs are:
i7 6700k @ 4.4GHz Automatic OC
Gigabyte z170n gaming 5 mitx MB
16GB 2166 DDR4 with XMP 2666 (currently enabled XMP) - also tried disabling this but still crashes
650w PSU
RTX 2080 Super

Temps idle ~ 26-28C
Temps load ~ 50ish C

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Youtube video that I followed to OC:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKkkl3K_9E

Solution
Thanks for your response. That is a good point I didn't took into consideration of different Vram etc. BIOS option gives me 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 option as well for OC so I assume that it should be able to get there?
My cooler is decent enough to push 4.4 full load at 67C, gaming 55ishC. Surely it can handle another 100Hz OC?
That is fine for your CPU temps but is it actually cooling the Vram area like a normal cooler does. That board only has a 3 phase for the power delivers and poor cooling for that. You can overclock your CPU to whatever but if your board don't have the proper Vram cooling or power delivery it will never be stable.

Just because it offers it means nothing you might get it with a lesser CPU like a 6600K again...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The boards are the same chip set but completely different power delivery and Vram cooling.

Auto overclock almost always adds more voltage than is needed and I hope you have a decent cooler.

In short your motherboard is not really designed for a high overclock and every processor will react to overclocking a bit different.

taimur_111

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
The boards are the same chip set but completely different power delivery and Vram cooling.

Auto overclock almost always adds more voltage than is needed and I hope you have a decent cooler.

In short your motherboard is not really designed for a high overclock and every processor will react to overclocking a bit different.
Thanks for your response. That is a good point I didn't took into consideration of different Vram etc. BIOS option gives me 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 option as well for OC so I assume that it should be able to get there?
My cooler is decent enough to push 4.4 full load at 67C, gaming 55ishC. Surely it can handle another 100Hz OC?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That is fine for your CPU temps but is it actually cooling the Vram area like a normal cooler does. That board only has a 3 phase for the power delivers and poor cooling for that. You can overclock your CPU to whatever but if your board don't have the proper Vram cooling or power delivery it will never be stable.

Just because it offers it means nothing you might get it with a lesser CPU like a 6600K again with proper cooling NOT JUST THE PROCESSOR .

Never use auto overclock for the reason stated above.

EDIT note here where they actually had to point a 120mm fan right at the board.
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/gigabyte-z170n-gaming-5-review/7/

And again all processors overclock different just the way it is. You can buy 2 identical cars and one will outrun the other.

EDIT again 0.1 is going to help how much?

Last edited:
Solution

taimur_111

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

Just because it offers it means nothing you might get it with a lesser CPU like a 6600K again with proper cooling NOT JUST THE PROCESSOR .

Never use auto overclock for the reason stated above.

EDIT note here where they actually had to point a 120mm fan right at the board.
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/gigabyte-z170n-gaming-5-review/7/

And again all processors overclock different just the way it is. You can buy 2 identical cars and one will outrun the other.

EDIT again 0.1 is going to help how much?

There is a case fan 120mm that directly pushes air to motherboard CPU area which I assume it also hits the vrams.
For auto OC, my system has been Auto OC for 2-3 years now :sweatsmile:
The 0.1 was just an example.