[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3 Two NVME

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I'm trying to use both M.2 slots on a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3..
I can get it either to recognize both NVME and NO SATA drives, or 1 NVME and all 3 SATA drives.

Soon as I plugin m.2 into the M2D_32G slot it stops seeing any devices plugged into any SATA plug. BIOS just reports no drives on any of the plugs.
I remove the M2D_32G one and reboot they are all there.

I have: 2 NVME Samsung 970's, 2 Samgung 960 SSD's (in raid setup in BIOS) and a old 1TB HDD spinning disk.
If I do one NVME I can get it to see it, the SSD RAID and the HDD all just fine....soon as I plug in second NVME all 3 SATA devices (RAID and HDD) disappear from BIOS SATA listings...it just shows all 6 as not there at all.

Any ideas whats going on?

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I have that, but unfortunately it doesn't help me any as far as being confused whats going on..
Or at least it seems like SATA 4-6 should be fine even with 2 m.2 NVME's even if they are all at 2x speed not 4x.

Am I missing something?

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I finally gave up and just went with 2 NVME and the 2 SATA SSD in RAID..and dropped the 3rd spinning disk all together. :D

It looks like no matter what BIOS settings I try..with 2 NVME only ports 4&5 work on SATA. 0/1/2/3 will not register anything with them plugged in.
I don't see a way to set the NVME to 2x anywhere in the BIOS.

Time to get a NAS and just add the spinning disk to it. Probably for the best anyway.