Gigabyte z370n and i5-9600k

Dec 7, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've read many threads on CPU and mobo compatibility, but I think I'm getting more confused the more I read.

So here's my story,
From the threads that I have been reading, z370 mobo will need an update, and z390's should be fine out of the box.

I bought a Gigabyte Z370n ITX board with an understanding that the chipset would need to be updated to work with the i5-9600k that I have. But I did not do research on updating the chipset.

Now, I need help how to progress with my build. So I have a few questions.

1. Do I need a CPU installed to update the bios? (I'm assuming yes)

2. If I need a CPU to update, will my i5-9600k work, even though I need to update? (I'm assuming no..)

3. How simple is updating? I'm hoping is as simple as selecting some update feature in the bios.

4. My main concern - is updating the bios as reliable as purchasing a mobo that is compatible out of the box?

Please, if anyone knows of threads that answer these, direct me to them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
1) In most cases yes, but there may be a way to circumvent that (not too sure though).
2) No, it will not.
3) Go to the website, download the new bios, follow a guide to get the installation going.
4) Probably, it's just more of a hassle.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
1) In most cases yes, but there may be a way to circumvent that (not too sure though).
2) No, it will not.
3) Go to the website, download the new bios, follow a guide to get the installation going.
4) Probably, it's just more of a hassle.

Solution
Dec 7, 2018

Got it. Thanks!