Question Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite Motherboard and dual monitors

Jan 10, 2020
I have this motherboard and want to use two monitors using the internal graphics of the MB. The MB has ONLY a DVMI on the back and a displayport connection on the MIDDLE of the motherboard that I assume I can use. How am I supposed to get this connection on the middle of my motherboard out of the case and to my second monitor? This seems crazy and I must be missing something obvious.

Jan 10, 2020
When reading through the specs, I can only see 1 HDMI out, and nothing else, unless I'm looking at the wrong motherboard : Auros Z390 Elite specs.

I don't see any other connectors for integrated graphics, so I'm not sure what DisplayPort you are referring to
You are correct, but it has a displayport connection on the middle of the motherboard and you're supposed to be able to use this connector for additional monitors. I just don't know how you're supposed to route it out. In my opinion, a terrible design not to have to video out connection on the back plane.

Ah, I see - now I understand.

Ideally you'd need a case which has an USB 3-c connector built-in, but that would put it on the front, so I suppose you'll need a cable you can route out the back through one of the openings for pci cards - there's a selection of such cables and brackets when googling, so it should be fairly easy to find

otherwise you could look for a way to connect both monitors to the hdmi port.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020
Ah, I see - now I understand.

Ideally you'd need a case which has an USB 3-c connector built-in, but that would put it on the front, so I suppose you'll need a cable you can route out the back through one of the openings for pci cards - there's a selection of such cables and brackets when googling, so it should be fairly easy to find

otherwise you could look for a way to connect both monitors to the hdmi port.

Thanks for the replies, btw! I think this is a terrible design. I just assumed all MB's would have a couple of connections out the back for monitors. I guess my other choice is to buy a graphics card and install it on the MB and not use the internal graphics card. Not really what I wanted to do either as I'm not a gamer and don't need cutting edge graphics.

Jan 10, 2020
it's hit or miss when you buy these kinds of products, but reviews look alright for it.

here you go, this should allow you to connect your second monitor via HDMI using the Type-C port
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Converter-Adaptor-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B074HZMCQ3

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I agree this looks like it will work. It will require me to kludge something together to route the USB3C connection from the middle of the motherboard out of the case.

I completely agree, and I actually asumed most motherboards would have one USB type C rear port when the motherboard supports that type of connection, but apparently not.

But you should be able to find something like this, just look for the correct internal header. (I know some of the pictures are not what you need, but I didn't search specifically enough, it seems). It was mostly meant as an example.

Type-C USB Port PCI Bracket ideas / examples

Jan 10, 2020
I completely agree, and I actually asumed most motherboards would have one USB type C rear port when the motherboard supports that type of connection, but apparently not.

But you should be able to find something like this, just look for the correct internal header. (I know some of the pictures are not what you need, but I didn't search specifically enough, it seems). It was mostly meant as an example.

Type-C USB Port PCI Bracket ideas / examples

Some of these look pretty good, THANK YOU!!

Many of the other Gigabyte motherboards do have that connection on the back. Crazy this one doesn't. I guess this is just another example that you shouldn't make assumptions or take anything for granted. Guess I've learned my lesson. I might look at some cheap graphics cards as well. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and have a good weekend.