[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard is not aligned with the standoffs in Corsair Obsidian 500D SE RGB

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Hello guys ! I started to build my first PC. After several attempts, I was not able to align my motherboard with the standoffs. I do not know what to do, because the holes on the bottom row and the ones on the middle row seem to be aligned, only those on the top row are not aligned. In the hole wich is in the middle of the motherboard, was installed by the manufacturer, a different standoff to help the alignement. I saw in the other builds, that this middle standoff was keeped in that place ( was not removed and replaced with a normal standoff ). Please, what is it to do ?
I don’t find any solution, even after two-three hours of work. The only way wich make possible to put the motherboard on the standoffs is to insert it in an angle and then the superior part of the IO shield exits outside the case, push down the motherboard, and then align the central tall standoff for exit to the central hole of the motherboard, but the result is always the same. Is it possible that the case is deffective, or I do it wrong ? I unscrew the central standoff, but the same result. Anyway, as I said, finally, the superior part of the IO shield is outside the case and the inferior part is inside the case, in the same time the IO shield is not centered on its hole, like in the picture. I don’t know what is it to do.
Edit:
I unistalled all the PCIE plates and put the motherboard in. This time, the IO shield all remain in the interior of the case, and I was able to install all the screws ( after little pushes of the sides of the motherboard ), except the one wich is in the right upper corner. I don’t screw totally the screws, thinking will be possible to install the last one, but I was not able to install it, even after I pushed it hard the side of the motherboard. Since my motherboard have the IO shield already installed, I can’t remove it to see if without it, the mobo will be aligned correctly. I saw in other threads here on the forum that some users said it is not a problem if one screw is not installed, and the only important thing is to have all the standoffs into the holes, but I don’t like this idea, because I want to avoid any possible grounding issues. My conclusion after I tried to move the motherboard on the standoffs is that the middle of the IO shield push the mobo back. Is it possible to have the standoffs drilled wrong, or I miss something ?Please, help. Thank you.
T
6nhmYyQ.jpg
MSPKY79.jpg
uxYKgA1.jpg
mkkhqGW.jpg
tqeXzEJ.jpg

Last edited:

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Finnaly, it happened. After more several attempts, I replaced the the central tall standoff wich was installed by the manufacturer to help the alignement (?!?!), with a normal standoff ( the only one wich was delivered separately in the box), and surprise... all the 9 screws worked fine, without force. I started with the screw wich was problematic, on the right top corner. The result is like in the picture. BUT, the IO shield seems it’s not centered on its hole. It is ok with the IO shield like this , or it is necessary to align the IO shield too ? I don’t see any way to be able to fix the position of the IO shield, because it depends to the hight of the standoffs.
i8NysH3.jpg
MA6YzlK.jpg

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Finnaly, it happened. After more several attempts, I replaced the the central tall standoff wich was installed by the manufacturer to help the alignement (?!?!), and I replaced it with a normal standoff ( the only one wich was delivered separately in the box), and surprise... all the 9 screws worked fine, without force. I started with the screw wich was problematic, on the right top corner. The result is like in the picture. BUT, the IO shield seems it’s not centered on its hole. It is ok with the IO shield like this , or it is necessary to align the IO shield too ? I don’t see any way to be able to fix the position of the IO shield, because it depends to the hight of the standoffs.
i8NysH3.jpg
MA6YzlK.jpg

I don't see why it would cause any problems.

If that's where the IO shield ends up after you dcrew the boards down on risers there's nothing you can really do unless you use some kind of spacer between the riser and the holes on the chassis panel or between the risers and the board to make move it a bit farther from the side panel where it sits. I wouldn't do that anyway.

Those IO thingies have usually something like a rectangular frame/casing which makes them fit the opening in the case better. Does the board come with one of those? Is that in place? I can't make it from the picture.

Reactions: Violett

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
I don't see why it would cause any problems.

If that's where the IO shield ends up after you dcrew the boards down on risers there's nothing you can really do unless you use some kind of spacer between the riser and the holes on the chassis panel or between the risers and the board to make move it a bit farther from the side panel where it sits. I wouldn't do that anyway.

Those IO thingies have usually something like a rectangular frame/casing which makes them fit the opening in the case better. Does the board come with one of those? Is that in place? I can't make it from the picture.
Thank you for your answer. No, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master is not delivered with such a rectangular frame/casing. Using the spacers is a very very good idea, but I am afraid that the height of the spacer will not be sufficient to align the IO shield. Plus, the lenght of the motherboard screws is some kind small. Only if exist longer motherboard screws , I don’t know.

Last edited:

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
I found a build on the internet, wich use the same components like mine, a Corsair Obsidian 500D SE RGB case and a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard. The IO shield is in the same position like in my build (maybe worse),with the same gap in the same part, between the shield and the case. Seems that is the result in this combination. A little bit disappointed until now about this Corsair case.
BgYogGR.jpg

Last edited:

indianajune1

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
I am having the same issue. In my case I was album to line them up fairly well and get the screws in. But it did not Recessed down onto the stand off like I did on my other motherboard . Did this happen for you ?