Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro VRM's? Overclocking

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I have never overclocked anything before, but have recently ordered an 8700k and sent it to Silicon Lottery for delidding/binning. I chose this motherboard off of their QVL because I liked the features I can see and it is a decent price point.
However I can't find many reviews yet and keep coming across complaints about GB's Z370 line having smoking hot VRMs.
I am gathering VRM temps on the Motherboard have a significant hand in overclocking and stability.

Does anyone know if this VRM issue has been fixed/updated for the Z390 line up? Is this a decent board for overclocking? I am just trying to get a couple/few more ghz out of the 8700k if possible and then leave it alone. Not interested in pushing it to the limit just to see how far it can go. Any advice is welcome thanks!

Solution
I'd look at a few reviews on youtube first.

I don't recall ever hearing about VRMs blowing up on gigabyte motherboards. The only major problem with them in the past was their auto voltage was WAY too high (fixed with latest BIOS which is good however).

You should be ok either way, Z390 was designed for the 8 core 9700K and 9900K, the 8700K only has six cores which brings it's max capable power consumption down quite a bit, so your power draw on the VRMs will be WAY less than what the 8 core SKUs can output.

If your open to options, I'd recommend the Asus Z390 Prime motherboards. Amazing quality, I've been running Asus boards for the past several years and they by far have been the best for me.
I'd look at a few reviews on youtube first.

I don't recall ever hearing about VRMs blowing up on gigabyte motherboards. The only major problem with them in the past was their auto voltage was WAY too high (fixed with latest BIOS which is good however).

You should be ok either way, Z390 was designed for the 8 core 9700K and 9900K, the 8700K only has six cores which brings it's max capable power consumption down quite a bit, so your power draw on the VRMs will be WAY less than what the 8 core SKUs can output.

If your open to options, I'd recommend the Asus Z390 Prime motherboards. Amazing quality, I've been running Asus boards for the past several years and they by far have been the best for me.

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

I didn't consider the lesser cores, thats a great point. I would guess excess voltage would cause excess heat so maybe that was the issue.

I am open to options. Unfortunately I can only really find semi thorough reviews for the Aorus "Master" version which is not available on amazon right now.

Here is the Silicon Lottery QVL:

ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus X Apex
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus X Code
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus X Hero
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus X Formula
ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Apex
ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Code
ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Extreme
ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Gene
ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Hero
ASUS Z390 ROG Maximus XI Formula
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

The Aorus Pro is one of the only ones <$200 so that is appealing. I've been running a $50 B250 board for the past year just fine so any of these that can handle the reasonable overclock stable will do me. I keep hearing asus are the best for oc'n but all those Maximus ones are pretty pricey. I can't imagine silicon lottery would post boards that couldn't handle their overclocks though.