[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra First Boot Issues

KD18

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Hello everyone,

This afternoon, I put together a new build but was unable to boot the finished product. For whatever reason, my motherboard keeps restarting in an infinite loop and showing codes C1 and sometimes 7F. Also, I noticed that, once it finds an error code, the bottom right red LED stays on for DRam. So, it makes me think that something is wrong with the ram / slots.

To test this out, I removed all 4 ram modules and ran with each module at each separate slot. Unfortunately, this results in the same error codes. When that didn't work, I removed the video card and ran with just the CPU/RAM - which still had the same issues. Finally, I've read that tightening down on the cooler can cause issues with ram slots; so, I tried loosening my cpu cooler (it's a massive thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, which is very heavy). That didn't solve the issue either.

What would you recommend doing at this point? I'm thinking that it's a dead board unfortunately, but I have no definite way of telling. Would an improperly installed NVMe SSD cause an issue like this - since I've never installed one before? Should I take this to a local computer shop? I'm at a loss for what to do and am extremely disappointed :(....

Parts:
CPU: i9-9900k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Super FTW3
Ram: 4X 8Gb GSKill Trident Z 3200 mhz at 14 CAS latency F4-3200C14-16GTZR (was on GSkill ram configurator but not found in QVL for the mobo)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Solution
True, looks like it could be 2 identical kits. This is never guaranteed to work as you mention, but I admit I've done it myself in the past with no real issue. Maybe a slight boost in DRAM voltage. Still, it's common stuff, and they do mention trying each stick by itself individually in each slot with no luck.

KD18

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
If I power on the board without any RAM installed, it actually gives me a different code (7F) - which doesn't have any meaningful message associated with it in the manual.

It's a Z390 board, so all 9th Gen CPUs are supported on original shipping UEFI. Based on your test, it looks like a faulty board. RAM you have is common in general, plus it's on RAM configurator and tested by G.Skill themselves. Tried reconnecting all power cables. Removed CMOS battery for a bit. Outside of that, it's likely needing an RMA started.

True, looks like it could be 2 identical kits. This is never guaranteed to work as you mention, but I admit I've done it myself in the past with no real issue. Maybe a slight boost in DRAM voltage. Still, it's common stuff, and they do mention trying each stick by itself individually in each slot with no luck.

Solution