[SOLVED] Gigabyte z390 M gaming CPU power sockets

Dec 31, 2018
As per title, I am doing a build with the M gaming MB but it appears to have two separate CPU power sockets, an ATX 2x2 and an ATX 4x2

My corsair 650w PSU has no 2x2 leads but does have a 4x2 lead. However, when connected to the 4x2 socket the PSU keeps going on and off.

So I'm.thinking that the 2x2 is the actual proper socket. I would love to know what the two ate actually doing there as my previous build only had one CPU power socket.

I have looked at the MB manual and it says very little about the two sockets. It does have a little arrow on the 2x2 so this would indicate something. Perhaps I have to stick half of the 4x2 onto the 2x2 but it all seems a little heath Robinson to me.

Solution
Okay, having read up online, the corsair 4x2 lead separates into 2x2 so this solves my primary issue.

I do wonder why there is a 4x2 socket as well on this MB. I can only assume it's for potential OC options. You have to wonder what extreme OC would require all that power applied.
Dec 31, 2018
Okay, having read up online, the corsair 4x2 lead separates into 2x2 so this solves my primary issue.

I do wonder why there is a 4x2 socket as well on this MB. I can only assume it's for potential OC options. You have to wonder what extreme OC would require all that power applied.

Solution