Question GIGABYTE Z390 M GAMING LGA 1151 using all SATA ports??

zaksi

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Hi,
I'd like to know if there will be a performance impact on the transfer speeds if I use all the 6 sata connectors to connect Ironwolf drives. Also I like to plug in 1 SSD and use the PCI-E slot to put a 10GBe card.

Is this possible without getting a significant drop in transfer speeds?
Thanks

DeauteratedDog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I'm about to buy this board too, so I'm all over the manual.

As far as I can tell, as long as you stick with the M2Q connector for your m.2 SSD drive, and stay away from the M2P connector, you should be good.

From the manual: "The M2P connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 0,1 connector. "

Note that the M2Q connector doesn't support SATA m.2 drives, you have to use a PCIe drive. (You probably were going to anyway.)

zaksi

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
I'm about to buy this board too, so I'm all over the manual.

As far as I can tell, as long as you stick with the M2Q connector for your m.2 SSD drive, and stay away from the M2P connector, you should be good.

From the manual: "The M2P connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 0,1 connector. "

Note that the M2Q connector doesn't support SATA m.2 drives, you have to use a PCIe drive. (You probably were going to anyway.)
Yeah I was going to use pcie drive. But I also want to use the PCIe slot to put a 10GBe card. Do you think that this will impede the speed of the m2 ssd?

DeauteratedDog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
As far as I can tell, the lanes for the PCIe slots are not shared - I'm almost certain about the x1 slots, and pretty sure about the x4 slot.
If you aren't going to put in a video card, you should be able to use the x16 slot and be completely sure.

Maybe somebody that knows for sure can chime in?

ASK THE COMMUNITY