Question Gigabyte z390 WiFi pro not recognising samsung 870 sata ssd

andybrrr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I have just recently purchased a Samsung 870 SATA SSD for some more space.

I have a Gigabyte aorus z390 pro wifi mobo. I also have 2x m.2 Samsung 970 pro ssds 1x 500 gb and 1x 1gb, and an HDD hooked up to sata0 port. These have all worked fine for a whole now. The 870 was recognized initially, formatted it and put some games on it. When I booted again a few days later, it was gone.

Tried it in another machine, everything seemed fine. Read manual talking about sata availability being cancelled by m.2s so I tried port 2. Again drive was recognized, installed some more games. Fine.

Next boot, it was gone again. Tried in other machine, works fine (using same cable).

Things I've tried :

Diff cables. Flashed mobo to latest rev. Checked 970s were on latest firmware. Unplugged HDD and used it's cables on ssd and vice versa. All appears fine other than ssd not appearing. I haven't seen it appear since the second time I saw it.

andybrrr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
I've tried all ports now. I noticed the 870 2TB isn't in the supported list on Gigabyte website but 500TB 870 is. That doesn't explain why the board picked it up twice though. I've tried leaving AC power off for a day and restarting to see if it was a weird power issue but no.