[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 Resizable BAR does not work with F.20 BIOS

HappyRogue658

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Is anyone else having this issue?

I updated to F.20 BIOS and as I do after the BIOS update, I reset to default settings, then set everything as I need it. The board did not POST (no video). I reset it and saved and rebooted after each setting that I changed. Turns out, Resizable BAR is the problem. When I set it to enabled, the board will not boot anymore and needs a CMOS reset. With the previous BIOS (F.7) RBAR works, no problem. GPU is RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO.

Solution
I faced to the same problem after a BIOS flash to F.20 yesterday. I have a Z690 Aorus Elite DDR5 and when I've activated Resizable bar I went to a Power On - Power Off Loop with no POST at all.

After doing a CMOS reset by removing the CMOS battery, I've decided to turn on resizable bar, but change the option Above 4G Decoding to Enabled (instead of AUTO) and on Power Settings I've disabled Render Standby.

I don't know if was only a coincidence but POSTed like a charm and worked normal today. No crashes, random rebooots, nothing. And resizable bar is now set to ON.

Hope this helps.

Lutfij

Titan
I updated to F.20 BIOS and as I do after the BIOS update, I reset to default settings, then set everything as I need it.
Did you clear the CMOS after your BIOS was successfully updated?

If the prior version BIOS enables resizable BAR, then the issue might very well be with the latest BIOS version. Perhaps gigabyte need to be contacted and explained of your find with their prior BIOS version being functional.

HappyRogue658

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
I updated to F.20 BIOS and as I do after the BIOS update, I reset to default settings, then set everything as I need it.
Did you clear the CMOS after your BIOS was successfully updated?

Yes, many times (with a screwdriver). At first I set all the settings at once and it didn't boot but then I went through all the settings one by one, doing a CMOS reset each time until I found that RBAR was the problem.

If the prior version BIOS enables resizable BAR, then the issue might very well be with the latest BIOS version. Perhaps gigabyte need to be contacted and explained of your find with their prior BIOS version being functional.
Yes, I created a support ticket.

As a side note: The whole thing started with Intel XTU utility. I just wanted to run it to see the CPU temps, not to overclock. I wouldn't start. It said to do either one of these things
  • Go to Windows settings \ Core Isolation and turn off "Memory Integrity"
    OR
  • Be on WIn 11 and update BIOS and turn on undervoltage protection
This works now (XTU starts with Memory Integrity on).

According to the XTU release notes, it used to not work at all if Memory Integrity or Hyper-V was on. But now it does.

Nov 5, 2022
I faced to the same problem after a BIOS flash to F.20 yesterday. I have a Z690 Aorus Elite DDR5 and when I've activated Resizable bar I went to a Power On - Power Off Loop with no POST at all.

After doing a CMOS reset by removing the CMOS battery, I've decided to turn on resizable bar, but change the option Above 4G Decoding to Enabled (instead of AUTO) and on Power Settings I've disabled Render Standby.

I don't know if was only a coincidence but POSTed like a charm and worked normal today. No crashes, random rebooots, nothing. And resizable bar is now set to ON.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Solution

HappyRogue658

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020

Hope this helps.
I will try this!

BaltazarIX

Honorable
Jan 26, 2016
Hey guys, sorry for offtop. I have Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 rev 1.x on my own, and I created thread with my problem too (bios f20, after enabling VMD for SATA controller, my system ferezes on splash screen until I detach concrete SATA SSD and make a reboot)
It looks like they are aware that bios rev f20 is bad because it's not even available to download (at least for my model):
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z690-UD-AX-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Nov 5, 2022
Hey guys, sorry for offtop. I have Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4 rev 1.x on my own, and I created thread with my problem too (bios f20, after enabling VMD for SATA controller, my system ferezes on splash screen until I detach concrete SATA SSD and make a reboot)
It looks like they are aware that bios rev f20 is bad because it's not even available to download (at least for my model):
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z690-UD-AX-DDR4-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

In my case, I've never been able to boot with my SATA SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) with VMD option active in none of the BIOS versions, so I stop bothering trying.

As far as I know, at least in my case, is not F.20 BIOS related.

Nov 20, 2022
To give a another sample size

Hope this helps.

To give another sample to this.
I have the Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4. 4G Decoding: Enabled and Resizable bar: Enabled is getting me past boot looping on F.20 with Resizable bar showing as Enabled in GPU-Z
Resizable bar: Auto would get to Windows but Resizable bar would be disabled as per GPU-Z

HappyRogue658

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Thank you for all these updates! I have done as you suggested, and turned on 4G decoding. Saved, rebooted and then turned on RBAR. The system boots!

I googled this then, and found this: Resizable BAR Support On! Now available for GIGABYTE GeForce RTX™ 30 Series

2. Motherboard BIOS setting
STEP 1 : BIOS → Advanced Mode → Settings → Above 4G Decoding, choose “Enabled
STEP 2 : BIOS → Advanced Mode → Settings → Re-Size BAR Support, choose “Auto”
STEP 3 : BIOS → Advanced Mode → Boot → CSM Support, choose “Disabled”

I'm slightly annoyed by Gigabyte support because they should have told me that, but they didn't give any meaningful reply to my ticket. Oh well. I have found something else that might be useful in these cases for the future. I would post a screenshot but the forum does not accept my link right now. According to GPU-Z, the requirements for Resizable BAR are:
  • GPU hardware support
  • Above 4G Decode enabled in BIOS
  • Resizable BAR enabled in BIOS
  • CSM disabled
  • Boot from GPT
  • 64-bit operating system
  • Windows running in UEFI mode
  • Graphics driver support
edit: gathering from the replies, it seems to happen on a few of Gigabyte's Z690 boards
  • Z690 Aorus Elite DDR5
  • Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4
  • Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
  • Z690 AORUS MASTER v1.x (Reddit, see below)
Also seeing somtehting here:
Got the same mobo* and cpu on Sunday, <Mod Edit>, if I enable BAR Resize the mobo wont post. I had to disable and enable everything post by post until it became "stable". Never seen a motherboard so problematic with new CPUs like this one.
*Z690 AORUS MASTER v1.x
New BIOS F20 (not the F20b) should be a beta. They have opened up the Resizable Bar option without selecting Above 4G Decoding first.

I thought they had sorted it so I just enabled Resizable Bar option. As figured maybe now the board was smart enough to know that have to selected Resizable Bar, and just then work.

I was wrong. I was stuck in a boot loop, had to reset the CMOS several times. Set back up my setting including Resizable Bar. Then I realized that MUST manually select Above 4G Decoding and then Resizable Bar.

This is dumb, they should of kept like as before, Above 4G Decoding = enabled, only then the option for Resizable Bar is then displayed.

Love Gigabyte boards designs, some board have wicked circuity too. No idea why the BIOS has always been an issue, over many many years of owning Gigabyte motherboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 21, 2022
Hello,

I had exactly the same issue as the original post by HappyRogue658, then I noticed that GIGABYTE has released an new BIOS update (F21) with the following notes :

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
  1. Checksum : 20BF
  2. Improve DDR5 5600 32G
  3. Improve the linkage between Resizable and 4G above
  4. Add "Instant 6GHz" profile in CPU upgrade option (supports i9-13900K/KF and i7-13700K/KF)
Has anyone tried with this BIOS to enable Resizable Bar?

Thank you

Reactions: HappyRogue658

HappyRogue658

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Hello,

I had exactly the same issue as the original post by HappyRogue658, then I noticed that GIGABYTE has released an new BIOS update (F21) with the following notes :

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
  1. Checksum : 20BF
  2. Improve DDR5 5600 32G
  3. Improve the linkage between Resizable and 4G above
  4. Add "Instant 6GHz" profile in CPU upgrade option (supports i9-13900K/KF and i7-13700K/KF)
Has anyone tried with this BIOS to enable Resizable Bar?

Thank you
Gigabyte just updated the support ticket. They suggest to use the F21 version as well. I have not tried it yet.

HappyRogue658

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Did I just say, I haven't noticed any problems? Well, today Windows reported that it wasn't activated anymore and that my 'hardware changed'.

My Windows is activated using a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. I logged into my MS account and looked at the list of linked devices and my Z690 computer was listed there 5 times. Clearly, every time I updated the BIOS, Windows decided that the hardware changed, and silently added the computer as a new device to my account. But this time it seems it decided enough's enough and that I have too many devices linked to my license.