[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z690 boot from CD

Oct 7, 2022
How can I boot from CD or from USB with the Z690? I can see the CD drive on the SATA device list, but it doesn't show as an option on the boot menu. I can see all the other SATA devices as boot options so it's not a question of changing the boot order or seeing hard disks it's a question of why I can see the cd drive in my list but not use it for boot. Thank you in advance!

Solution
How can I boot from CD or from USB with the Z690? I can see the CD drive on the SATA device list, but it doesn't show as an option on the boot menu. I can see all the other SATA devices as boot options so it's not a question of changing the boot order or seeing hard disks it's a question of why I can see the cd drive in my list but not use it for boot. Thank you in advance!
Most motherboards will only list a drive on the boot menu if they detect a bootable operating system on the drive. In this case that would mean a bootable cd which the drive would have to identify as soon as you insert it into the drive. Usually when you insert a cd into the drive there is a momentary spin up where the drive identifies the disk, file system...
Most motherboards will only list a drive on the boot menu if they detect a bootable operating system on the drive. In this case that would mean a bootable cd which the drive would have to identify as soon as you insert it into the drive. Usually when you insert a cd into the drive there is a momentary spin up where the drive identifies the disk, file system, etc. Perhaps your drive and motherboard combo no longer do this.

Reactions: Gil1908
Solution
Oct 7, 2022
Thank you dwd999! I was afraid to put in the Windows CD because that means I have to open it, so if there was any issue, I'm stuck with it. But eventually, that worked fine!

Reactions: dwd999