[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Connecting Fans and Fractal Nexus Hub

Jan 18, 2022
Hi guys,

I am currently failing a little to successfully connect my nine fans on Gigabyte's Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and via the additional Nexus+ 2 fan hub included in the Fractal Meshify 2 case. Six of the fans are shipped with 4 pin heads, and three with 3 pin heads, thus requiring way more fan ports than the Mainboard (fan layout) offers, as long as I don't resort to using Y-splitters. The three 3 pin connectors aren't much of a problem and atm directly connected to the Nexus+ 2 fan hub. I guess the rest of the fans should also be fine and connectable with the help of some PWM extension cables. But now how about the fan hub itself? It has one SATA connection to connect it to a 6 pin to SATA cable connected to the PSU, but also one cable with a 4 pin head. Here's some novice questions ...

• Can I connect the Nexus+ 2 fan hub to any SYS_FAN port on the Motherboard? I read somewhere the occupied CPU_FAN port would be required?
  • Can I connect the Nexus + 2 fan hub to the unoccupied and easily reachable CPU_OPT port? Or are CPU_OPT & CPU_FAN coupled, thus not recommendable?
  • Can I use a regular PWM extension cable to connect the CPU_FAN with the reverse Y (2 to 1) 4 pin connector from the CPU cooler? (some extra centimeters to hide cables)
  • Any reason in general not to use Y-splitters for fan PWM cabling? Looks probably much better for my build.

And my goodness, instead of including dozens of extra cables, maybe Corsaire should think about adding an extra inch or two of cable length! There's a lot of potential here that's falling by the wayside imo.

Best regards & thanks in advance!

Solution
So long as you connect the fan hub to any PWM fan header or by that a 4pin fan header on the motherboard, you're good to go. You could also use the CPU_OPT fan header if you can't use the CPU_FAN header to begin with. The benefit with a CPU_OPT header is that it operates as though you plugged it into a CPU_FAN header, so the temps or rather the fan RPM's will mimic that of the CPU_FAN header due to it being tied to the CPU's temps.

You can use splitters but how many fans is the question since there is a limit to how many fans can be powered on it's own off of a single header before they burn out(or pop). Which is why a powered fan hub is preferred over splitters.

Lutfij

Titan
So long as you connect the fan hub to any PWM fan header or by that a 4pin fan header on the motherboard, you're good to go. You could also use the CPU_OPT fan header if you can't use the CPU_FAN header to begin with. The benefit with a CPU_OPT header is that it operates as though you plugged it into a CPU_FAN header, so the temps or rather the fan RPM's will mimic that of the CPU_FAN header due to it being tied to the CPU's temps.

You can use splitters but how many fans is the question since there is a limit to how many fans can be powered on it's own off of a single header before they burn out(or pop). Which is why a powered fan hub is preferred over splitters.

Reactions: Cosmopolarbear
Solution
Jan 18, 2022
So long as you connect the fan hub to any PWM fan header or by that a 4pin fan header on the motherboard, you're good to go.

Haha, that's a good starting point then!

You could also use the CPU_OPT fan header if you can't use the CPU_FAN header to begin with. The benefit with a CPU_OPT header is that it operates as though you plugged it into a CPU_FAN header, so the temps or rather the fan RPM's will mimic that of the CPU_FAN header due to it being tied to the CPU's temps.

Ok, I am going to order some 4 pin extension cables and then I can just switch between board connections to see what works best. Since I have primarily installed be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM Fans, I was wondering if the fan speed control will be bypassed if I connect them to the 4 pin connectors of the Nexus+ 2 Hub and the fan hub in turn to a regular SYS_FAN? Any thoughts on this?

Of course, I am considering connecting a maximum of two fans via one Y-splitter, so no more branching with additional Y-splitters! Guess that should be fine?

And one more question... Is it recommended to equip the modular Corsaire RM850X PSU with some cables from other manufacturers, f.e. better, more flexible 24 pin ATX cable? Or can I use a 24 pin extension cable here without any worries? If so, any recommendations from your side?

Thank you very much for your advice and help, @Lutfij !

Last edited: