Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H MBIOS_LED and PW_SW button light?

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I just set up my computer and it runs fine but since it's newer hardware I've ever had I'm a bit confused by the MBIOS_LED and PW_SW light.

They are both orange in color.

The MBIOS _LED only comes on when I power the PC on.
The PW_SW light stay on even when PC is off.

Again, both lights are solid orange in color, is this normal?

Thanks Alot!

Solution
Have the same or similar board (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H) and am testing various things with it. from my understanding so far the orange power button you are referring to stays lit as long as power is being sent to the board. so even with the system off if the pwr supply is not switched off then it will still stay lit. I believe that is working as intended.

In my experience power can remain in the system for a bit even after unplugging it. It is a way to use that excess power up and let you visually know when it is all gone and safe to work on. so switching the supply switch to off you will notice makes that light go out in a few moments.

As for the M_BIOS led that is also orange. I was noticing that also. I had not at first but I'm...
No. PW_SW light should go off totally when the rig is shut down. It stays on or changes color only when the rig goes to sleep and is not fully shutdown.
The MBIOS_LED which I believe is on the Mobo stays on as soon as the Mains is switched on... meaning that the Mobo is receiving Power from the PSU,but, may not be utilizing it.

PS: The PW_SW LED is the one on the cabinet I believe.....
If that is the case, then you either have a current leaking PSU which would be bad in the long run and needs to be replaced or then you have the wires messed up or a short someplace at the back of the Mobo that needs to be identified and then rectified.

slimofq

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Have the same or similar board (Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H) and am testing various things with it. from my understanding so far the orange power button you are referring to stays lit as long as power is being sent to the board. so even with the system off if the pwr supply is not switched off then it will still stay lit. I believe that is working as intended.

In my experience power can remain in the system for a bit even after unplugging it. It is a way to use that excess power up and let you visually know when it is all gone and safe to work on. so switching the supply switch to off you will notice makes that light go out in a few moments.

As for the M_BIOS led that is also orange. I was noticing that also. I had not at first but I'm starting to think I was just missing it before since I can't find a reason for it to be a problem. Since the board has dual bios and there is an led just past it for the B_BIOS I am thinking they say on to let you visually know that you are using one or the other.

Also my system seems to stay with A0 on the digital display while the system is powered on and occasionally switches over to 0E/E0/30/03 ... not sure but that is what I'm trying to figure out. I have only found a value for E0 and A0 in the book... but if A0 is the one I think it is then 03 is the orientation of the other and that I have not found.. so .. I dunno.. but thats what I'm dealing with.

Now that I've rambled .. the orange lights for the other two seem to be normal and I have not experienced any problems with the system or any of the components and I'm getting a 7.9 windows exp reading from everything so we'll see :)

I'll let you know if I end up finding any conflicting info from what I already spilled out here :)

Solution

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
cheers for the response, it should help alot of people out since there isn't much info about it that I could find.

as an update, i've been using my PC for 6+ months now and it is running flawlessly so the lights are definitely normal. I guess I was just a bit worried when I first posted here because the 'orange/amber' colour was a bit alarming as it aluded to 'danger/caution' etc. it would be better if the lights were green.

Langley Fry

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Hey, I know this has been "Solved" but I know how to make this light turn off.. (in case you wanted to know)

I found that with this setting disabled my keyboard and headphones would stay lit up and my router would still recognise the computer was connected to it.. So, to turn this off, all you need to do is go into BIOS (press del at POST) and go across to power management and go down to ErP.. The Motherboard's manual says, "Determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W power in S5 (shutdown) state (default disabled)."

So if you set this to Enabled then when you shut down your PC, the light should go off pretty much straight away, and you don't have to worry about flicking the power off at the back or on the wall....

It drove me crazy having to unplug things or switching of mains power.. Only thing is you can't charge devices or power on using USB or LAN prompts when the computer is off.. No big deal.....

Hope this helps a few people!

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Cheers for the reply,

That's a handy thing to know if I ever want to turn them off for some reason. As for PC case lights, there's nothing more annoying than downloading a game from Steam for example overnight and having light from the case etc flickering, lighting the ENTIRE room up.

Cheers!