Question gigabyte z790 does not detect sata ssd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2023
Hello,
I just built a PC with gigabyte z790 UD AC motherboard. Installed Windows 11 on Solidigm P41 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive.
Now I'm trying to connect my existing SATA SSD to the computer but the computer doesn't recognize them.
My existing drives are:
Samsung 870 QVO 2TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB.

Do I need to change something in the BIOS to enable SATA drives?

Thank you for your help.

Hello,
I just built a PC with gigabyte z790 UD AC motherboard. Installed Windows 11 on Solidigm P41 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive.
Now I'm trying to connect my existing SATA SSD to the computer but the computer doesn't recognize them.
My existing drives are:
Samsung 870 QVO 2TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB.

Thank you for your help.
If you open up the Disk Management app does that show anything? Do they show and need to be assigned drive letters?

May 16, 2023
If you open up the Disk Management app does that show anything? Do they show and need to be assigned drive letters?
it doesn’t show up in BIOS or Windows.

Another update: I hooked up my old SATA HDD drive to the same Sata ports and I can see those in BIOS and in Windows. So, it is very specific to SATA SSD. Maybe they went bad? How can I confirm?

it doesn’t show up in BIOS or Windows.

Another update: I hooked up my old SATA HDD drive to the same Sata ports and I can see those in BIOS and in Windows. So, it is very specific to SATA SSD. Maybe they went bad? How can I confirm?
Well, if you have a usb stick lying around, you could download a linux distro, mount that on the usb, boot it and see if that shows anything. An alternative that would cost money would be to purchase a sata drive to usb connector and see if that shows anything.

Jan 21, 2024
latest motherboard bios?
have raid turn on in bios?
Hello,
My existing drives are:
Samsung 870 QVO 2TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB.

Thank you for your help.
hello all, sorry to revive this old post, but doesn't look like it was ever fully resolved, and I'm having the same issue with my build, similar Gigabyte Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10 motherboard.

Unable to see my 8TB Samsung 870 QVO in explorer or anywhere else.

The drive was first used as a dump and backup drive on a different PC, connected via a Sabrent USB docking station, works totally fine there, shows up in Disk Management in BOTH computers when connected via the Sabrent (usb 3.0 port)

However, when I pop the drive into a free SATA port on the new motherboard, it doesn't show at all in the bios (all the SATA ports show nothing installed), and doesn't show in Disc Management.
Doesn't show up in Diskpart.exe.

It was formatted as NTFS, GPT, one single volume coming in at just under 8TB of course.

I'm an experienced computer user, I've built many rigs, I don't know what the eff is wrong. I'm about to throw an older smaller SSD in to see if it reads but have to pull it from my laptop to test so thought I would leave a post here to see if any resolution to this issue might be forthcoming. Looks like the trail dies off back in May.

The one significant issue perhaps affecting this, but not sure how exactly, is that I just setup a raid0 on two of the NVME drives, but these are on a separate bus, are working fine. Did enabling the raid somehow shut down the SATA ports??

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.