[SOLVED] Gigabyte z87x-ud4h RGB headers

Feb 21, 2020
I have a Gigabyte z87x-ud4h mobo and I'm wondering, is it compatible with RGB fans? I saw some on amazon but the particular ones I saw said the fans don't support 12V 4 pin headers, only the 5V 3pin. I can't find one of those on my board and the manual says nothing about them. I'm not sure if the 4 pin SYS_FAN headers would be compatible with other rgb fans I've seen as they seemed to literally have "Rainbow_1" next to the header or whatever. First time trying it so total RGB noob incase you hadn't noticed - help pls

edit - if it makes a difference, I have an NZXT H440 case which has a controller mounted round the back already with like 8 or so fan headers.

Solution
Your MB will not support any RGB fans until you buy a RGB controller, then you can use the RGB fan(s).

The RGB fan has two connectors, one is for the power, which will connect into the MB fan header or the RGB hub/controller; other one is for the RGB light , which will connect to the RGB connector, either the 3pin (5V/D/G) or the 4pin (12V/G/R/B).

Because your case has the RGB controller, you have to use it to control the RGB fans.
Your MB will not support any RGB fans until you buy a RGB controller, then you can use the RGB fan(s).

The RGB fan has two connectors, one is for the power, which will connect into the MB fan header or the RGB hub/controller; other one is for the RGB light , which will connect to the RGB connector, either the 3pin (5V/D/G) or the 4pin (12V/G/R/B).

Because your case has the RGB controller, you have to use it to control the RGB fans.

Solution