Gigabyte Z97x SOC FORCE vs non force editopn??

TheMine98

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Is it worth 20-30$ to get the force edition for over clocking? I'm going to be a first time overclocker and would like the best overclocking motherboard for me. Processor - i5 4690k or i7 4790k. I would be water cooling my CPU using thermaltake water 3.0 360mm radiator. And is it worth the 20-30$ for the force edition? Why or why not?

Since you'll be doing some serious OCing, the extra $20-30 for FORCE edition are worth it, it has got double the number of chokes and power phases (along with with one extra RAM phase) vs the non Force edition. However, here is a different perspective from an Anandtech review:

The Z97X-SOC, the non Force edition, is also available and is one of this motherboard’s main competitors. For $20 less, there are fewer power phases (eight rather than four) on the SOC, an Intel NIC rather than a Killer, no OC Brace and no network management software. For a gaming user, that $20 could be put towards moving up a GPU class, or better CPU cooling, as arguably a gamer will not be sub-zero overclocking or need the OC Brace. That ultimately puts a $20 premium for the Killer NIC and management software, which should be a gaming feature, although I have heard many users prefer the lower CPU usage of the Intel NIC and the software can be purchased for $22 that will work with the Intel NIC. The choice will be dependent if the focus is on-the-desk overclocking, or if networking features are important to the user.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8176/gigabyte-z97xsoc-force-review

TheMine98

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
RealIllusion, I'd rather take the thermaltake instead of the one you suggested because I'm getting it through amazon and would ship all my items together and that newegg would cost me more on shipping due to using 3rd party shipping companies, I'm also thinking of getting a custom loop, but that takes most of my budget.

TheMine98

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

I did find a full kit, for about 190$ but it doesn't support lga 1150, which means i have to get a brand new water block for 50$ which would result in 240$ plus shipping to my country is expensive, so 300$, or free stock cooler till everything is settled .

TheMine98

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

Expandable AIOs, never seen one, could you give me an example of one?