Gigabyte's Core i5 Contenders: P55-UD4P And P55-UD6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
I was running them with a pair of 4870 X2s without a problem. Though I can't publish numbers yet, you'd be surprised how close comparably-clocked i7 and i5-based machines will come.

paohyean

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I think the eSATA ports at the back panel are the eSATA/USB combo ports as there are only 2 more headers for 4 front USB ports...
=)

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]I was running them with a pair of 4870 X2s without a problem. Though I can't publish numbers yet, you'd be surprised how close comparably-clocked i7 and i5-based machines will come.[/citation]

Have you had a go at overclocking the new Lynnfields yet? It was reported in Custom PC magazine (a publication we get in the UK) that MSI engineers didn't find it hard to push the new Lynnfields to 5Ghz on air.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Haven't yet JeanLuc. I'm waiting on two new coolers from a couple of different vendors that should allow a bit more overclocking flexibility. As of now, I'm currently limited to a fairly makeshift cooling setup that isn't really any good for overclocking.

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Is there any chance that the new directx 11 cards will be so powerfull, that only one high end card will be sufficent to max out all the bandwith available, disabling the chance to run a crossfire/sli setup on this boards???
I could be saying something really stupid, but that max 16x bandwith available seems fishy to mee...

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]h83[/nom]Is there any chance that the new directx 11 cards will be so powerfull, that only one high end card will be sufficent to max out all the bandwith available, disabling the chance to run a crossfire/sli setup on this boards??? I could be saying something really stupid, but that max 16x bandwith available seems fishy to mee...[/citation]

You have to remember on PCI express v2 x16 lanes is more like x32 lanes since PCI express V2 offers twice the bandwidth for the same amount of lanes (v1 can handle 250Mb's per lane V2 500mb's per lane). Now say if ATI's 5870 was twice as quick as the HD 4870 there would still be enough bandwidth in a PCI express X16 v1 lane to run that card without any troubles.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not sure there is much of a difference between Core i5 and i7...i mean of course we will wait for the results, i just don't see a big difference.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
nice boards.. wish they would produce some with 10 or more SATA ports... for the data storage packrats that some of us are!

G

Regarding the need/want for dual gigabit ethernet on mainstream boards, I'd have to say there's quite a few features on these boards that's even less useful.

Of the top of my head, in no particular order.

Floppy.
COM.
PAR.
PS2.
PCI.
PATA.
Firewire.
More SATA then the chipset already provide.

When I bought my first PC motherboard in 2003/4 all these were already redundant. Six years down the line I've yet to find a use for any single one of the above and wince inwardly at having to pay, regardless of amount, for these features.

Dual gigabit ethernet though, I could make use of that. Even more so with Teaming support.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
There's nothing wrong with PS2 ports. Trying using a text based Linux (such as DSL) with a USB keyboard and see how far you get. Even on my Windows machine I use USB to PS2 converters just so I can keep my USB ports spare.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I won't be surprised to see how i5 comes to i7. I figured that would be the case. The thing that would make nervous though is the upgrade path available for it.

I won't be in the market for a whole new set up for a while though. So in the end I'll have to settle to upgrade to a C2Q when I have the extra funds and a little cooler weather here in which to overclock it.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Oh BTW for mouse and keyboard PS2 > USB.

USB uses polling, so the more USB devices you have the lower performance you'll get out of it. PS2 doesn't it. It's still perfect for keyboards and mice.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Haven't yet JeanLuc. I'm waiting on two new coolers from a couple of different vendors that should allow a bit more overclocking flexibility. As of now, I'm currently limited to a fairly makeshift cooling setup that isn't really any good for overclocking.[/citation]
Is the i7 and i5 using different cooler holes? i7's are a bit further apart than C2D's so is i5's in between?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Yup, 1366 and 1156 aren't compatible, though I'm sure many vendors will start including clips for i5, just as many include clips for AMD/Intel platforms today.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I just bought an Intel i7 920 the other day. I hope that the 1156 version is just the same thing. Yesh, I'm starting to have buyer's remorse.

G

While I personally find PS2 utterly useless, as would the vast majority of uses that neither know of or would notice the difference between a PS2 or USB mouse and keyboard, I never said that it were.

Just that's it's less useful than having two gigabit ethernet ports would be.

Every argument I've seen so far, a total of two, in favor of PS2 relies on archaic issues - and I use the word issues very lightly here - that are only still around because motherboard makers haven't removed the legacy support quickly enough.

Do you believe we'd even have any PCI audio cards on the market today if the ports had been taken off all mainstream motherboards in '06, two years after the introduction of PCIe?

As for polling...

SCSI > ATA
BETAMAX > VHS

I could go on but I'm sure the point has been made. Polling hasn't been an issue in this millennium, the vast majority of users don't make use of more than 3-4 USB devices and retaining legacy support for PS2 when USB does more for less doesn't make the least bit of sense.

Especially when considering a mainstream motherboard, which the P55-based ones are.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]kirvinb[/nom]WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY DO THEY KEEP GETTING RID OF THE DROP BAR NAVAGATION???[/citation]

This is a picture story--you can navigate the whole thing using thumbnails at the top. In regular editorial content, the drop-bar is still there!

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hah radiowars, my experience is you will ALWAYS have 'buyer's remorse' when purchasing computer related stuff, don't let it get you down. :) You have to make a decision and go with something, sometime, or you'll end up with nothing forever.

If the i5 is cheap enough, I might do a rig based on it for my 3rd comp. Not likely though, probably build another i7 rig or Phenom II.

Regardless, it won't be a Gigabyte product. I had their GA-MA790FXT-UD5P mainboard reset the BIOS after a mild overclock attempt, and it not only reset the RAID setting in the BIOS but corrupted the RAID ROM so I had to re-define the RAID array, and of course lost my install in the process. That's cool, anyone can have a faulty product and it's a new thing, but their service response was 'don't overclock, if it fails again we'll have you send it in for testing'. What?? I paid a premium price for this thing so I could OC the 955, and I'm not talking setting any earth-shattering records either, I'd be thrilled with 3.8GHz. So, I'm sure it's a good board if you don't use a RAID setup and maybe mine is a fluke, but there are too many good competitors for me to take a chance on Gigabyte again, considering their service response.

;)

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Anybody want to find out exactly how much it will cost to buy a good i5, new mobo, and DDR3 RAM to go along with it. I'm thinking of switching to the i5 once it hits, going from a Core2duo I think it will be the best performance upgrade I've had in a while.

freak77power

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I would suggest i7, cause you wont see 6 and 8 core i5/i7 CPUs for this socket, at least Intel didn announce it. Sockety 1366 is for sure getting 6 and 8 core variant of i7.

Nowdays you can find x58 for $200 + $260 for i920 CPU. No brainer here, it's better deal then i5 setup. I am sure that i5 socket based motherboard wont be below $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.