Gigabyte's GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard Unboxed, Photographed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
@DarkSable i'm guessing it's something to do with powering USB devices while the computer is off and in standby.
That or thunderbolt related.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ok wait, it says OC_IGNITION.
Don't have the slightest clue what that's supposed to mean.

I mean, OC related, obviously, but aren't there different buttons for that?

D

Deleted member 217926

I actually kind of like the color scheme. Haswell sure is looking good so far. I saw a CPU-Z screenshot of an i7 4770K at 5Ghz on .9v earlier today. I might just have to upgrade the old Sandy Bridge system. But I'll wait 6 months to make sure there are no bugs like P67 had at launch.

Hmm... My theory is that it's an automatic overclocker that's so bad that it automatically overvolts and sets the computer on fire.

... .9v? Please tell me that was a typo.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I love the looks. Reminds me of the old DFI LanParty boards. I wish they still made them. I want one. I think I'm drooling.

Aoyagi

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
What? Dual-UEFI? Can anyone give me examples why exactly is UEFI better than normal BIOS setup? I know of one and that's it (sometimes) makes the computer boot faster if it has the OS it's built for. Oh and yes, it looks pretty. That seems to be what sells everything nowadays.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I think this board is ugly, I really hate the color scheme.
But that isn't as bad as having 2 PCI slots that space could have been use for PCIex x1/x4
instead. Also why manufactures still limit SATA ports to 6 (8 on some cases)?
I currently have 16 drives connected to my PC (3 are external USB drives) + 1 optical drive of course. (I had to add 2 SATA controllers due to the lack of SATA ports)

its because 90% of the users dont use more than 4 sata devices. if you are using more than 6 drives, you should be getting a proper raid card

You can also boot hard drives larger then 2TB(with a supported OS again) this way.

@all. The layout looks very clean. I just wish it has some E-SATA goodness. With all that USB 3.0, maybe it will not be an issue

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest benefit is it can boot an OS off a partition larger than 2.2TB. That and they can make it look real pretty!

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Very nice board. I wish they went with green though instead of orange, but thats not a big deal. What kind of audio chip im curious? I love the internal usb headers, thats a great idea. Im thinking of upgrading soon, this might be the board I go with, unless gigabyte comes out with a better board.

Status
Not open for further replies.