Gigabyte's VGA Cooling Resembles Car Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc256

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I have enough air flow in my case as it is now. passive cooling for the vcard would just reduce the noise created from my box which would be very nice.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Cool but in no way resembles a car radiator. That would require liquid and a fan.[/citation]

"the cooling system resembles a car's radiator grille"

Not the full radiator, learn to read the article and not just the title.

Omniblivion

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Zoom zoom zoom. I am not a big fan of passive cooling. I tried with a single 9800gt, it heated up to 121c. Needless to say I went back to active cooling.[/citation]

Passive cooling relies on the native airflow of the case, rather than having an onboard fan on the card. Your card heated up so much (most likely) due to poor air circulation where the passive unit was.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Looks great now (hopefully performs great too). But put it in a standard users case for a while and you get to spend 2 days cleaning all of the dust out of all the individual fins.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Thats ridiculous! I am sure that will take up more space in your case, i could be wrong. BUT that thing will increase temperature in your case! they should focus on a cheap water cooling system. I like the original HD5000 series cooling method.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]"the cooling system resembles a car's radiator grille"Not the full radiator, learn to read the article and not just the title.[/citation]That's right.. this is the only cooling fin arrangement made that resembles a car radiators fins, right? I don't need to read the article. The title lead me to believe something else. This has happened on numerous occasions.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Gigabyte has been a big player in high performance with passive cooling. I've used such designs in their 7600GT and 7600GT. The big advantage is that there is 0DB noise coming from the card - okay, I am assuming that. ;)

With a big case cooler fan, it helps to suck out the heat generated by the radiators.

As shown on this ATI5770, the 2nd slot is used as an exhaust vent. This CUSTOM design use used by Gigabyte and looks very much like my 7600GT from years ago... and it was HUGE back then.

For heat issues, I switch to BIG-FAN coolers like HIS graphics cards which come with ICE coolers, which I had before my 7600GT. My 4670 is ICE and silent.

Paid $180 for my 7600GT - Passive and $80 for my 4670 :)

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]slickyfats[/nom]Looks great now (hopefully performs great too). But put it in a standard users case for a while and you get to spend 2 days cleaning all of the dust out of all the individual fins.[/citation]
this is why air duster cans were invented...prob solved :)

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Nice design! I'll give Gigabyte some respect for trying something outa the norm.

Seems like 95% of graphics cards come with a little factory reference fan and thats the end of it. Unless you mod it yourself or find a solution like this your stuck with the norm.

RailGun88

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
This should be good. IMO since I like cars I think it's quite nice. Just hope the performance and cooling lives up to expectations.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]this is why air duster cans were invented...prob solved[/citation]Or in really bad cases (dust + smoke = super caked on dust/sludge) I use CRC's Lectra-Motive. In the garage or driveway, mind you.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]this is why air duster cans were invented...prob solved[/citation]
Seriously?!? have you ever actually CLEANED anything with a can of air. Probably not. I have a Zalman 9700 and the fins on it get caked with stuff that will not just blow off. So your "problem Solved" isn't really.

G

Instead of air duster, I used leaf blower for my garden to blow the dust out of the case. This should only be attempted outside of the house. You'll be surprised how much dust will be out of you case with HUGE VOLUME of AIRS =)

YMMV...

chanman819

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
@slickyfats

Agree. Cleaned out my brother's 4 year old Athlon x64's heatsink and a silent graphics earlier this year. I resorted to wrapping a square of toilet paper around a business card and using that to pull the dust out from the fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.