News Gigabyte's Wi-Fi 7 PCIe card preps your desktop for a faster wireless future

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateLunch

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
5800Mbps?!?! What is someone supposed to do with that speed? My internet connection is only 400 Mbps. And one thing no one ever mentions..what is the throughput of your home router? The manufacturers always talk about their Wifi speed. But they never talk about how fast the router can move bits. I have a small business router and I had to pay a lot just to get 500 Mbps.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
5800Mbps?!?! What is someone supposed to do with that speed? My internet connection is only 400 Mbps. And one thing no one ever mentions..what is the throughput of your home router? The manufacturers always talk about their Wifi speed. But they never talk about how fast the router can move bits. I have a small business router and I had to pay a lot just to get 500 Mbps.
Devices on the local network can communicate faster than Internet speeds.

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Honestly, no clue, at least for home users, which this will eventually trickle down to. A rare home user might have a mighty home network with NVMe NAS RAID arrays, 10 kids and 10 adults, all trying to pull from some crazy Plex server or data-store. IDK, trying to get creative. I've got 1Gb Google Fiber, and share my network with my roommates, 6 of us total, and even though I'm the heavy user of LAN/WAN traffic, there is literally nothing I could do to come close to saturating 5800Mbps.

Some business video editing studios could theoretically need a router with 5.8Gbps, but 99.9% of the time, they're going to be hardwired via 10Gb-25Gb ethernet. Anybody that needs 10G+ speeds are going to be hardwired, via copper or fiber.

Wifi 7 is a joke. We don't need more speed. We need more reliable signal, better noise reduction, further throw. "Maybe" in 10 years I'll need the speed that Wifi 7 can provide, but as it stands now, it's nothing but a marketing gimmick. Wifi 6e is pretty cool since you can get off of 2.4 and 5ghz congestion and onto 6ghz. But 6ghz is terrible for long-range signal attenuation compared to 2.4. The moment I step outside my home, 20 feet from my router, the 6ghz network dies as it can't pass through my walls.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The moment I step outside my home, 20 feet from my router, the 6ghz network dies as it can't pass through my walls.

Tell me you live in a warehouse with no walls w/o telling me /s haha

Seriously though, these speeds are great...assuming you have an access point *very* nearby. Requiring 2/3x devices of a mesh system to get around the walls doesn't seem really viable.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Another thing is backhaul. Since Wifi 7 will have even more distance restrictions, you'll need more than a couple 'hops' across your network to get to the router/switch. Since you def won't get more than 2 of these radios in the first devices, you start halving your speed pretty fast no?

lol slow down that is theoretical speed I doubt it will hit that real world like current wifi. Secondly you are thinking about your WAN connection and this would be for your internal LAN.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Networking is not only for internet access, you connect devices and PCs and mobiles together . also 5800Mbps is the total bandwidth ,means each user can have more bandwidth when connecting at the same time.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
The funny thing is that if "ultra high end" motherboards continue the trend, like the insanely overpriced MSI MEG Z790 GODLIKE MAX, you may not have a PCIe slot to use on a wireless card (or anything else for that matter) without sacrificing a M.2 slot.
dont even need this board to run out of usable pcie slots... my x570 e gaming board, i have a video card, sound card and an add in sata card, ans thats it, no more lanes left to use, unless i want to drop my video card down to 8x, or maybe lose a sata port or 2...

desktop kind of needs more pce lanes to go around, especially if they add more m.2 slots on the board. i also have an X99 based comp im still using as it has the lanes, and pcie slots i need for whats in that comp. IF i could afford to grab a threadripper, that x99 based comp, would be replaced by now...

im in the process of updating half of my home network to 10g as well... but dont need wifi 7 yet..... 6(e) looks to be just fine for the wifi needs here still...

Reactions: George³

Amdlova

Distinguished
Purchased an adpter AX211NGW 11.99us that thing is fast don't need more than that on wi-fi info from intel
"When using Wi-Fi 6 technology with 1024QAM and 160MHz channels, the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX211 module can deliver nearly 3x higher peak data rates3 (up to 2.4Gbps) and up to 4x capacity improvement in dense or congested environments comparing to Wi-Fi 5."

Nov 14, 2023
I’m always surprised to see comments like this. For those of us running Homelabs and ZFS arrays this is great news! All the computers in my house mount network file storage for various things and I stream my Plex content locally as well. This means if you run fast ZFS network storage you can access it at near-local speeds (in the case of flash SATA). A lot of people are already running 10gbe wired networks for this reason in the home and 25gbe is now relatively affordable with some Mikrotik devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS