Question Gigagbyte RX 5700 XT Fans not spinning HELP!

Nov 14, 2019
Hello everyone!
So as the title says i have an issue with my GPU. The problem here is that the fans arent spinning at all. At first i thought there in idle mode and when i game theyll eventually start spinning (i got the GPU brand new). So yesterday i was playing for a while and suddenly i heard my GPU fans go crazy so immediately cut the power (didnt know they werent spinning at all beforehand). I opened my PC case and the GPU was burning hot. So i let it cool off and when i restarted my PC and the fans started turning so i thought the problem was solved.

Now heres why im so confused. The day after that i turned my pc on and checked the fans and they just spinned for like 1-2 seconds on startup but stopped right after. I opened a game and checked if theyll start spinning again if the temperature goes up but nothing happened. They only start spinning after i restart the computer and the GPU is already burning hot (why ?)

I tried reinstalling my drivers but that didnt help at all. I even downloaded like HWMonitor, NZXT Cam to check my GPU Temp and Fan Speed but for some reason it only says the name of the GPU but i doesnt show Fan speed or Temerature on neither of the Programmes which it should (it just says like Stock Frequency: N/A , Current Frequency: N/A, Temperature: N/A)

I would really appreciate some help cause im lost at this point...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For fans controlled by a mobo, the NORMAL behaviour is that at start-up all the fans start at full speed. After a few seconds as actual temperature measurements are available the automatic fan control system slows them down to a slow speed and thereafter keeps adjusting them according to temperatures. A mobo normally will not shut its fans off, but does have a minimum speed it will use. I would guess that your graphics card similarly starts its fans full speed and then reduces speed under its own control strategy.

In almost all cases the temperatures on a GRAPHICS CARD and the control of its fans has NOTHING to do with the mobo. There is no standard way for that info to be passed between the two systems. So first of all, that is why neither your mobo BIOS nor any third-party utility (that gets its info from the mobo) can show you any info about the graphics card's operations. All of that is done solely on the graphics card, and to examine that and adjust it you use the graphics card's configuration utility (comes on the CD with that card). If you are unhappy with the way it is doing that job - either wanting it to cool more, or to never actually stop the fans on the card - look in that utility for the cooling control system and see what adjustments you can make.

It's normal for all fans to start spinning for a bit when rebooted. Your fans aren't 'going crazy'. Many OEM GPU cooling solutions are loud AF. You have a top-end card so yours is probably one of them.
After gaming while the fans aren't spinning, and then rebooting, do the GPU fans stop again once you log into Windows?

Are you 100% sure fans don't spin at all while gaming?

Its normal for fans to spin up for a few seconds while booting and then stop, its normal that they don't spin while on Windows doing stuff like web browsing or watching youtube, netflix, etc. Its normal that fan don't spin on old games or when you just started a game and the GPU still cold.

But its not normal that the fans don't spin at all while playing new games at high dettails and /or resolution and/or refresh rates. I suggest you download MSI afterbruner 4.6.2 (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html links are at the end of the page, or if you preffer from MSI page) or hwinfo portable 64 bits (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/).

The first will allow you to check temperatures while gaming, by selecting the sensors (in your case GPU temp. and fan speed) you wana see on the OSD (On Screen Display), heres a video that show the how to:
View: https://youtu.be/mUS3zx0DlHg?t=105
(there are many more tutorials on internet).

The other program, Hwinfo can be run checking the "sensors only" options, this will open a smallish windows (like this: View: https://i.imgur.com/48tUUIj.png
) if you scroll down you will see the GPU section and the temps and fan monitors (with Current/Min/Max values). You should leave this open while gaming and check how high (MAX column) the gpu temp was and if the fans ever turn On. Note: hwinfo have a "Clear... values" that let clean all the monitoring values at any time (good idea to press it once you launched the game and youre on the game menu)

MSI Afterburner should be better for this: launch a game and play it, and see how the GPU temp rise up, if by time the GPU is around 60° C the fans are still OFF I would think theres a serious problem with the GPU firmware or the fan controller, or somewhere else in the card.

Also remember this, when monitoring your system keep only 1 monitoring tool open at the same time. If you have more than one, you could mess up the readings and not get the right values. So pick one tool, MSI afterburner, Hwinfo, etc. and don't run any other at the same time (this goes for icues too, keep it closed when using the other programs).

AMD Overlay can do the same thing and it's already installed on your system. Just hit Ctrl + Shift + O (the letter) to show the on-screen display. The various metrics that get displayed can be chosen in AMD Settings.

And crap, now I feel I wrote all that for nothing, which is true. Thats what happend when you read and see all the reviews of Radeon cards, but you haven't got one for playing a really long, long time (I blame nvidia for that!).

Anwyays, now that you mention this could it be that the OP doesn't have the latest drivers installed ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For most gpus with eco modes of any sort, the fans will stay at a ready state of 0rpm until the border temp is reached. For my gpu that's @ 65°C. At that temp, the fans kick on, but being 65°C, the fans go nuts trying to cool the gpu, until the temp runs @ 60°C, then the fans kick off. Try that gaming and it'll drive you nuts, takes about 4 seconds to go from 60-65°C and 4 more seconds with fans blasting high rpms.

Turn the eco OFF, it sucks on a gaming gpu. Instead, run the regular profile, that uses a regular fan curve, avoid the sudden and constant on/off cycle. If your regular gaming temps are considerably higher than @ 65°C, the fans will run anyway, if temps are usually lower, the fans constant airflow won't be an interruption. Is anything close to the mid 60's that's crazy.

Some gpus have a manual switch, somewhere, and some (like mine) are switched by using the stock software.

Reactions: RodroX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
User error. I don't see any other reason for a x16 card not fitting perfectly into an x16 port. Most likely the owners are trying to insert the card on a diagonal, not directly straight in due to other restrictions like hdd cages or massive card in tiny case.

Dec 7, 2019
Hello everyone!
So as the title says i have an issue with my GPU. The problem here is that the fans arent spinning at all. At first i thought there in idle mode and when i game theyll eventually start spinning (i got the GPU brand new). So yesterday i was playing for a while and suddenly i heard my GPU fans go crazy so immediately cut the power (didnt know they werent spinning at all beforehand). I opened my PC case and the GPU was burning hot. So i let it cool off and when i restarted my PC and the fans started turning so i thought the problem was solved.

Now heres why im so confused. The day after that i turned my pc on and checked the fans and they just spinned for like 1-2 seconds on startup but stopped right after. I opened a game and checked if theyll start spinning again if the temperature goes up but nothing happened. They only start spinning after i restart the computer and the GPU is already burning hot (why ?)

I tried reinstalling my drivers but that didnt help at all. I even downloaded like HWMonitor, NZXT Cam to check my GPU Temp and Fan Speed but for some reason it only says the name of the GPU but i doesnt show Fan speed or Temerature on neither of the Programmes which it should (it just says like Stock Frequency: N/A , Current Frequency: N/A, Temperature: N/A)

I would really appreciate some help cause im lost at this point...

Simple fix mate force PCI gen 3 in ur BIOS i spent countless hours myself troubleshooting it. FOR OTHERS READING. DO NOT IGNORE THIS. THIS WILL FIX.

Nov 30, 2019
Wow! What a fix! It would be very interesting to understand why that change is necessary for the graphics card to work properly.
I don't have that much knowledge to be sure, but I feel it's related to drivers. Basically the AORUS video card software utility has a control for the "FAN STOP" feature (which is the one stopping your third fan). Prior to forcing PCI GEN 3 in the BIOS, using the FAN STOP control in the utility did absolutely nothing. After making the BIOS change, it functions like a charm, so I was able to switch it from "Semi-passive fan" to "Active fan" (thus turning off FAN STOP).