Gimme Gimme Gimme

G

I wan't to test my processors speed

anyone can reccommend a hard processor draining app or game?

Tbird 800 here

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

mpjesse

Splendid
Sisoft's Sandra 2001. You can find it at www.download.com
It's probably the most widely accepted and used benchmarks utility around. Best of all- IT'S FREE!!!

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"

mpjesse

Splendid
Oh wait- you want a hard app. Well, SETI is known to take a lot of cycles. The real test is 3D Mark 2001- that takes a huge hit. Umm... any C compiler uses a lot of cycles.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
yeah - but 3dMark also does all your video susbystems and everything.

General test of how fast you can crunch data is a 7 day average on seti. It has the advantage of being real world.

Sandra give faster results though.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

mpjesse

Splendid
That brings me to a problem. My SETI is acting wierd. Sometimes it takes over 24 hrs to complete a unit. Other times it takes me just under 7 hrs. WTF? My computer isn't going into sleep mode- i know that. No screen saver enabled. I'm running a 1Ghz Athlon (133mhz FSB) with PC2100 memory. Hmm... Anyone got any suggestions?

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Suck"

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
There must be something running that is eating cpu.

If it isn't sleep or screensaver then I'm lost. Check your scheduler and antivirus scheduler if there is one. You're obviously using seti cmdline right?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

It depends if you are using your pc or not

also if you have a screen saver on or not

i actually tired seti
i compiled in a few hours
7 i think for each approx.....

the screen saver turned off helps speed a lot

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

I trust you have hung Findfast from the nearest yard arm?

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try to unzip a 2 gigabyte file. Works your cpu out. I hope you PC doesnt crash cause you know VIA chipset design is to crash and format every other [-peep-]ing day. I would go with my stable ALi chipset anyday.

!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!

mpjesse

Splendid
Oh yeah... I hate find fast. it was actually something really stupid- my virus scanner. I didn't think it could be that because virus scanners only eat CPU cycles when scanning. Well, apparently it's throwing SETI into the backround and dominating CPU power. Anyways, that's for all the help guys.

-MP JEsse

"Signatures Still Suck"