[SOLVED] Gimped (mining) RX 570 Bios? Before I reflash. (image heavy)

Remeca

Reputable
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB off ebay (I know, I know, probably an old miner card but the seller has 100% with thousands of reviews). Since it came, and it worked (stress tested it with furmark for a few hours, it never went over 65C), I've mostly just been enjoying the upgrade, which was a big step up from my old R7 260x 2gb.

However, the last couple days, I've been poking around under the hood, looking at the clocks and temperatures in game (was only watching FPS in game), playing with small overclocks (no voltage adjustments) and checking out if the other bios performed differently.

Everything seemed normal until I noticed that the card never came close to reaching it's stock core speed with either bios even when overclocking, which is supposed to be 1340mhz/1750mhz core/vram. I got ATIFlash to see what bios is on there, and there are two different ones.

I've found them both on techpowerup, and they're labeled as unverified. I assume the bios is underclocked for mining purposes, and that's also maybe why my max temperature was ever only ~65C. So I've downloaded both the available verified bios from techpowerup, and just wanted a second opinion before I start flashing.

I know I'd have to mess up pretty bad to brick my card, but just want to make sure my information is correct and procedure sound before I proceed, only thing I've ever done with a bios is update a motherboard.
  • Step 1: Boot with bios 2
  • Step 2: Flash bios 1
  • Step 3: Boot into bios 1
  • Step 4: Flash bios 2
This might be altered slightly if I'm on bios 2 and I flash bios 1, and it flashes over Bios 2. Then I'd just boot bios 1 and flash bios 2.

Max core clock bios 1:
G4SBYz4.png

bios 1 information:
56jKkMD.jpg

Link to current bios 1:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/194009/194009
Link to stock bios 1:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197490/sapphire-rx570-8192-171019

Max core clock bios 2:
BnBJXZF.png

bios 2 information:
VaQu7tO.jpg

Link to current bios 2:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/194303/194303
Link to stock bios 2:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/192281/sapphire-rx570-8192-170322

PC Information:

Dell Optiplex 9020 mt (Dell 0PC5F7 motherboard)
i7-4770 3.4Ghz
14GB Hynix/Samsung 1600Mhz DDR3
EVGA 500W (yes, the infamous W1)
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB
Kingston A400 240GB SSD
Seagate 500GB 7200rpm HDD
Windows 10 Pro 1903

Thanks for reading and for any guidance on how to proceed.

Edit:
Forgot to include the gpuz info.

qhy.png

Last edited:
Solution
The bios's have different memory listed listed in each bios application. Your GPUZ Identifies your memory as Hynix. But I don't know if the bios changed the listing or Hynix is truly on board. The second bios has autodetect listed for memory application, but the first one that you want to use to change bios does not list Hynix. Just pointing that out.
I don't think you will get anyone to tell you that you are good to go for bios change. Changing your bios on the gpu is the most dangerous thing you can do to it. So many things can go wrong, file is corrupted, doesn't load correctly, power goes out while you are changing bios, etc etc. You do this at your own risk, and no one is going to let you blame them for a bricked card:eek: But good luck:unsure:

Remeca

Reputable
Before you do all that have you checked what position the dual bios switch is in? Maybe it is in quiet setting? See if you can set it to performance and if it changes things for you.
I've tried in both positions. That's why there's all the information twice, once for each bios I tried. Both bios show as unverified on tech power up,and I've linked to them both.

I don't think you will get anyone to tell you that you are good to go for bios change. Changing your bios on the gpu is the most dangerous thing you can do to it. So many things can go wrong, file is corrupted, doesn't load correctly, power goes out while you are changing bios, etc etc. You do this at your own risk, and no one is going to let you blame them for a bricked card:eek: But good luck:unsure:
Well, neither bios installed is the official bios, they're both unverified. They're limiting clock speeds by over 200mhz,and who knows what else. I understand flashing a GPU bios is risky, but that's one of the reasons I chose a dual bios card when I knew I might end up with a miner. The purpose of this post is just to make sure I've crossed my I's and dotted my T's, since I've never done a GPU bios flash before. I understand this is all at my own risk.

The bios's have different memory listed listed in each bios application. Your GPUZ Identifies your memory as Hynix. But I don't know if the bios changed the listing or Hynix is truly on board. The second bios has autodetect listed for memory application, but the first one that you want to use to change bios does not list Hynix. Just pointing that out.

Solution

Remeca

Reputable
I checked via the SKU sticker on the card, it is Hynix. I did have the wrong bioss to flash in my OP though, but someone's helped me find the right bios for my memory type. I'm going to try flashing (one at a time) tonight.