Gingerbread is Still Most Popular Android OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Well, its not the largest installed base by any user's choice. Trust me. ICS is so much better its almost indescribable. The manufacturers that haven't updated their hardware to ICS should really be ashamed.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
The problem is device manufactures stop supporting their devices after they release a new one. Typically this is what you get when it is free... At least Apple has been faithful about updating their devices....

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I think the title should be changed from Most Popular to Most Used as the word popular implies it would be the most wanted. My Bionic is still on GB, however, not by personal choice. Verizon keeps rejecting the ICS builds Motorola makes for the phone. If I had my choice, I would not be on GB.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Here's a suggestion for the manufacturers that'll save money and increase user satisfaction: stop making so many phones and promptly abandoning them. Why does Samsung have so many models that trying to keep track of them all is hopeless? Until they start updating them more, I'll stick with Nexus devices.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I'm still on Froyo 2.2.1 on my little Samsung Galaxy 5 GT-I5503T, I can't see Sammy or Telstra upgrading it to anything newer any time soon, if ever. That saying but, it still does everything, it's not as nice as a sammy galaxy s3 or an iphone, but it still does more then my mates iphone 4, atleast I can click on links on a page or email and watch a flash video. Hopefully he won't need to worry about that, with html5 starting to take over

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Probably because people who got Gingerbread back in 2010 are waiting until this year or early next year when their contracts expire/are due for an update. I still use an Droid X2 (Im due for a upgrade later this month) with Gingerbread. I bought my phone on contract in January 2011.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
The title here is stupid. It's not the most popular OS. It's just that either people don't know there's an update, or there isn't one to begin with.

Glad I'm one of the 1.8% with Jelly Bean. :D

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Here's a suggestion for the manufacturers that'll save money and increase user satisfaction: stop making so many phones and promptly abandoning them. Why does Samsung have so many models that trying to keep track of them all is hopeless? Until they start updating them more, I'll stick with Nexus devices.[/citation]

Save money for who? You do realize that they will loose money if they sell less phones... Right? What's the best way to make you spend 500 bucks on a new phone every year? Why, make a slightly better phone, and make sure you cannot update your old one.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
That's the one (only?) thing I can give credit to apple on. They update their phones, unlike my LG Thrill which just promises to make upgrades and never does.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]Save money for who? You do realize that they will loose money if they sell less phones... Right? What's the best way to make you spend 500 bucks on a new phone every year? Why, make a slightly better phone, and make sure you cannot update your old one.[/citation]

Actually, a lot of them are more interested in locking you into contracts.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
popular? you mean, most like, most approve, most sought after, most admired? no way.
it's more like the most populated. we'd happily switch to ICS we have one.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]Save money for who? You do realize that they will loose money if they sell less phones... Right? What's the best way to make you spend 500 bucks on a new phone every year? Why, make a slightly better phone, and make sure you cannot update your old one.[/citation]
It would actually save the manufacturers money if they didn't "design" multiple phones for each carrier and instead offered the same phones through carriers with compatible networks. They could design 3 phones for each market segment....1 for AT&T, 1 for T-Mobile and 1 for Verizon/Sprint/nTelos. That would cut their costs dramatically and actually increase their profits.

G

Like others have noted, it's not the users who haven't updated, rather it's the manufacturers. In my case, that might be a good thing, since my DROID X has steadily gone downhill since installing 2.3. I'm not sure it could handle any further updates.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I've had to root my 2+ year old phone and flash a custom rom to get Jelly Bean. The fact that my 2+ year old phone still works is a miracle in itself :)

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Yup, problem is we're stuck on 2.3 until our upgrades roll out at the beginning of the year.
Bye bye Evo 4g! Daddy is getting a quad core! (even if I have to switch carriers!)

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Yup, problem is we're stuck on 2.3 until our upgrades roll out at the beginning of the year.Bye bye Evo 4g! Daddy is getting a quad core! (even if I have to switch carriers!)[/citation]
...and what will you do with a quad core?

G

If I got a quad core phone, I'd watch 1080p 10-bit encoded anime.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Its cause android phones keep working fine and don't really "need" the updates to keep working fine I had 2.2, then upgraded to 2.3 then 4.1. looks a bit fancier but I don't do anything more or less with it that i could do with 2.2 or 2.3 and all versions seem stable to me. I have a HTC Incredible S

Its easier for people with Iphones to keep up with the newest O/S cause they buy a new phone every year.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]...and what will you do with a quad core?[/citation]
Get a dock and use it as my 2nd desktop (just to make my iCousins jealous), watch HD video on it, hook it to my LCD and play all my old favorite 8 bit, 16 bit and PSX games on it, play the latest Android games on it, text, talk on, take pictures, email, record video, you know, standard phone stuff.
Mainly I want quad core just so I don't have to hear about running a "dated" phone from the iCousins every time I go over to fix their macs and pcs.....

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Still on Froyo here. I think my phone can get Gingerbread (verizon Galaxy S/Fascinate) but I rooted it and removed all the bloatware and now it fails update.. does everything I need it to do though, so I don't really care ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.