[SOLVED] Girlfriends gaming rig suffering from extremely slow wifi, do we need to get a new motherboard?

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Hey, so my Gf is running a Gaming 7 Gigabyte Mobo, 6600K, and a 380X GPU. She had a older wifi card rated for 300 Mbps, but her games were suffering from lag and upon further analysis, she was only gettings 70 Mbps TOPS. We have a $300 AX router and pay for gigabit speeds. We got her the same AX wifi card I have in my rig and she's still only getting 70 Mbps tops whereas I'm getting 550ish. I have made sure all drivers are up to date, Latest BIOS installed, nothing fixes it. I am arriving at the conclusion it has to be something wrong with the now 5 year old motherboard.

Solution
Is your concern only the download speed or how the game functions once it is installed. Online games use almost no bandwidth. Most are well under 1mbps so if you get 70 you have much more than is required.

Lag in games is caused by latency variation not bandwidth. You need to leave a constant ping run to the router ip in a background window and see if you get spikes.

It is highly unlikely it is the motherboard. Since it is a large and fairly expensive project I would buy a long ethernet cable and run it over the floor or move the pc near the router. This will quickly show you if it is just the wifi or if there is something else wrong. Note even then it tends to not be a motherboard issue it would be much more likely...

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hey, so my Gf is running a Gaming 7 Gigabyte Mobo, 6600K, and a 380X GPU. She had a older wifi card rated for 300 Mbps, but her games were suffering from lag and upon further analysis, she was only gettings 70 Mbps TOPS. We have a $300 AX router and pay for gigabit speeds. We got her the same AX wifi card I have in my rig and she's still only getting 70 Mbps tops whereas I'm getting 550ish. I have made sure all drivers are up to date, Latest BIOS installed, nothing fixes it. I am arriving at the conclusion it has to be something wrong with the now 5 year old motherboard.

You guys are gaming via Wifi? Try to connect through ethernet cable and check if it improves. I know that 70mbps+ is enough and wont cause any network lag unless you're streaming at the same time in ultra HD but you can check if your internet is stable. Try running some speed test first via cabled connection. Wifi's are pretty unreliable in gaming honestly as there can be a lot of factor that might hinder that wireless connection.

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
You guys are gaming via Wifi? Try to connect through ethernet cable and check if it improves. I know that 70mbps+ is enough and wont cause any network lag unless you're streaming at the same time in ultra HD but you can check if your internet is stable. Try running some speed test first via cabled connection. Wifi's are pretty unreliable in gaming honestly as there can be a lot of factor that might hinder that wireless connection.
We would be gaming wired if we could, but it's not an option. Everyone else in the house has no problem gaming on wifi, its just her rig.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
We would be gaming wired if we could, but it's not an option. Everyone else in the house has no problem gaming on wifi, its just her rig.

Have you checked her latency? Wifis are known for huge latency spikes over cabled connections, make sure she's not gettting triple digits specially you said "everyone else in the house" means there's multiple people gaming over the same network, via wifi.

Is your concern only the download speed or how the game functions once it is installed. Online games use almost no bandwidth. Most are well under 1mbps so if you get 70 you have much more than is required.

Lag in games is caused by latency variation not bandwidth. You need to leave a constant ping run to the router ip in a background window and see if you get spikes.

It is highly unlikely it is the motherboard. Since it is a large and fairly expensive project I would buy a long ethernet cable and run it over the floor or move the pc near the router. This will quickly show you if it is just the wifi or if there is something else wrong. Note even then it tends to not be a motherboard issue it would be much more likely be a issue with the video card or maybe the game itself.

Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

It is highly unlikely it is the motherboard. Since it is a large and fairly expensive project I would buy a long ethernet cable and run it over the floor or move the pc near the router. This will quickly show you if it is just the wifi or if there is something else wrong. Note even then it tends to not be a motherboard issue it would be much more likely be a issue with the video card or maybe the game itself.

Basically what Im pointing out earlier. It isn't just about one time pinging but constant ping monitor. Wifi tends to spike at triple digits, cabled on the other hand is more stable when it comes to latency. 25ms is enough to make lags as it just means the latency starts around 25ms and spiking up and down. 70mbps is basically more than enough and is ultra fast in terms of internet connection.. I have 30mbps fiber connection at 1-3ms ping.

Plus, we need to consider those other people connected. If they use to stream or use bandwidth heavy apps like streaming, netflix and youtube, everyone or atleast one of you will suffer from lag.

EDIT: Like @bill001g says, you can run a long ethernet cable connected to your modem/router. A network switch will be recommended if multiple cable is your concern, that way the data will not be congested and run through the cable to your main properly without crowding (noise). It's cheap. Motherboard issue will be a rare case for that, I suspect the wifi card itself or the latency is the problem. High bandwidth internet doesn't mean no lag.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
@soldier5637

What AX wireless network adapters are you using?

Two suggestions:

1) Double check that only one network adapter (the new one) is enabled on her rig. In your situation only the new wireless network adapter should be enabled. Other wired and wireless network adapters should be disabled.

2) Use your AX network adapter configuration settings as a guide and compare her AX network adapter's configuration settings to your settings.

Because both rigs are using wireless you can also make use of the netsh command via the command prompt:

netsh wlan show all

Reference:

https://www.webservertalk.com/netsh-wlan-commands

Compare first and do not immediately change anything. Identify the differences and investigate further.