Give Me A Heads Up Before I Order Components

mlhm5

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Not a hardcore gamer, do do a lot of video work and am wondering if this ~$600 system could use some tweaks. The MB is useful when the quads shrink in price and will easily allow me to OC the e2160 to 3.0 GHz.

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R - $128.90

2GB Crucial or Corsair or Patriot DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (whichever one is cheapest after MIR)

INTEL Pentium Dual-Core 1.8GHz e2160 - $82 - Should I wait until DEC for the e2200?

COOLER MASTER CAC-T05-UW Centurion 5 Mid Tower Case (Silver) Retail - $61.99 - good enough or buy better?

AEROCOOL ZERODBA 620W - $108.99 - in case I upgrade the CPU in the future.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - $19.99 - Will need if I upgrade and OC.
...and
Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound - $5.99

LITEON LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW - $37.99 - Is there a difference between the $80 opticals and the lower priced ones?

SAPPHIRETECH 100208L Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 - $104.99 - Are there others that will outperform this one for $100?

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Lots of views, not too many replies. List format because I feel lazy:

-I don't think that you really need the "P35C" you could go with just the plain "P35". that'll take you about $30 dollars cheaper. IDK, about the overclocking ability difference between the two though.
-Memory seems dandy to me. If you are planning on overclocking the memory, you could go with a 4-4-4-12(or 15).
-I guess you are going to be OCing your processor. From what I hear, that is a good one. I suppose you could wait until December, but would their be a dramatic performance/price difference?
-I vaguely recall that case. I am pretty sure that is good. I think it has good airflow.
-(No-Way-Jose). I would definitely not get that power supply. That is a Tier 4. You are going to want to get something from tier 3 or above. May I suggest the corsair 520Hx? From what I can tell, you pc won't be too demanding on the wattage. Here is the tier list: http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon
-Honestly, I don't know jack about OCing or Cooling paste, etc.
-Yeah, there is some difference. That difference is speed(and probably lifespan). I personally have a $30 dollar one.
-Hmm..this one is ok, but might I suggest the 1950pro for $130?

Very quick guesstimate. Hope I Helped.
-Adam

Agreed with aadamszc on all points. The GA-P35-DS3R overclocks better than the GA-P35C-DS3R. You could get the GA-P35-DS3L in fact, unless you need RAID, and save yet another $30.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is all right, worth the $20. There are much better coolers out there for $70, but it's silly to spend $70 on that - better use the money to get a good video card.

Here's a relatively cheap PSU that has good quality and can handle your system:
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX, $78
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=450vx
The 520HX is better but it's $30 more.

Difference between $80 DVD-RW and $30 DVD-RW: I have a $90 PX-810SA and a $35 LG GSA-H62N in my PC. The Plextor backs up DVDs 3 times faster. It also came with some fancy software. The LG came with PowerDVD 7 and Nero 7 Express, and I happen to like these programs so I didn't install the Plextor's software :)
Apart from that they are the same. Exactly the same speed when reading files or burning disks. As for lifespan, who knows. My previous LG drive was $60 (but it can be bought for $30 now) and it was still working after 3 years. I only ditched it because it was IDE and I don't want ribbon cables in my new PC.

If you do a lot of video work you should get a Q6600. I know it's more expensive, but your time must be worth something too and the quad can save you a lot of time compared to a dual core. If the additional $200 saves you an hour every day for the next 500 work days that's 40 cents an hour. I honestly hope you are paid more than that :lol:

The AC Freezer 7 Pro has pre-applied MX-1 thermal compound that is actually very good. You won't need the AS5.
You can get the CoolerMaster Hyper TX 2 for free (after rebates). Its very similiar to the AC Freezer 7 Pro.
AC Freezer 7 Pro vs CM Hyper TX 2 review
The stock Intel HSF isnt so bad at overclock cooling. But it does start to get loud before it runs out of cooling ability.

Here's a better deal for the Corsair 450vx, everything else aevm mentioned would be good. If your saving you $ right now, the e2160 is perfect budget OC'ing chip. Yes the q6600 would be better for encoding, but the almost $200 more isn't worth it, at least that is my opinion. As far as the GPU, I'd recommend the x1950pro, but if you wait a few weeks there will be more selection from nVidia and AMD that might suit your needs.

PSU - $75 shipped - $10 MIR = $65! Can run a single 8800gtx system.
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W Active Power Supply Retail ***Free Shipping***
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006428