Give me your thoughts on FSAA

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I would like to hear your thoughts on Anti-Aliasing.

Ever since 3dfx touted their Full Screen AA as a way to one-up nVidia I've always had a "Who Cares?" attitude about it. I've always found that if I skip using FSAA and simply bump up the resolution that things look better with less of a performance hit.

I just don't get FSAA I guess. I don't understand why people like it if they do.

Do you use it? If so please give me your opinion.

Thanks

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I use it in older games that are still smooth with anti-aliasing on. It does improve visual quality to some extent.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i doubt not that many people use FSAA (i personally dont).
i guess they have that feature for testing purposes
ie. : what video card has the best image quality?
or it could be just for bragging rights.
im not sure either.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I use it quite a bit. Only since i got a geforce 3 though, it can handle it without taking a noticable hit. my asus v8200 ti200 supports quincunx AA which gives (IMHO) better quality than 4X at a speed of just a little slower than 2X.

I still get framerates over the refresh rate of my screen in most cases at 1280*1024. So hell, why not.

eden

Champion
What games do you play with QC AA on monkey?
And has anyone fiddled with Aniso filling on too?

I plan to use QC when I get GF3, as it has a really good technology, and does almost the best a Radeon offers without performance drops.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Another question.

Those of you that use it, are you using 19" or larger monitors?

Also what resolution do you typically use AA on?