[SOLVED] Given $1000, which VR system would you buy?

Assuming you have a reasonably powerful computer already, which VR set would you choose?

HTC Vive/Pro
Occulus Rift S/Quest
Valve Index.
Base Pimax + base stations + HTC controllers

I'm curious if opinions have changed.

Mod Edit for Clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Build/buy is nothing but semantics. Even if you buy it, you have to set it up. So there is a degree of building.

The question is no different than "Which $50,000 car would you buy and for what reasons."

I was internally debating which would be the best. Each system has it's advantages and disadvantages. Looking at people's favorites would be a good indicator of what features people value the most.

Wide FOV?
Good audio?
Good game catalog support?
Wireless?
Least maintenance?
Most comfortable? Best fit?
Low latency?
High resolution?
Contrast levels?
Controllers?
Tracking accuracy?
Play space size?

There's a lot of variables, and no one brand clearly wins the majority of these. So people's favorite choices might give me a...
So this isn't a thread about you "which system would you build?"

Should change your title to "Given $1000, which VR would you buy?"

Build/buy is nothing but semantics. Even if you buy it, you have to set it up. So there is a degree of building.

The question is no different than "Which $50,000 car would you buy and for what reasons."

I was internally debating which would be the best. Each system has it's advantages and disadvantages. Looking at people's favorites would be a good indicator of what features people value the most.

Wide FOV?
Good audio?
Wireless?
Least maintenance?
Low latency/Refresh rate?
High resolution?
Contrast levels?
Controllers?
Tracking accuracy?
Play space size?

There's a lot of variables, and no one brand clearly wins the majority of these. So people's favorite choices might give me a better indicator of what is important in a VR system for most. (Consider it my own internal market research)

Wide FOV?
Good audio?
Wireless?
Least maintenance?
Low latency?
High resolution?
Contrast levels?
Controllers?
Tracking accuracy?
Play space size?

There's a lot of variables, and no one brand clearly wins the majority of these. So people's favorite choices might give me a better indicator of what is important in a VR system for most. (Consider it my own internal market research)

It doesn't change the fact that anyone reading your title outside of the thread before clicking on it will believe that you need people to tell you what 1000 dollars system you should build. Meaning... parts and everything.

When we read your post after entering this thread it's about a VR headset.

It is not about the same thing at all. One is asking for recommendation of parts for a 1000 dollars system... the other one is you asking which 1000 dollars VR you should buy.

You did not have to write an essay. You just had to fix your title to "Which 1000 dollars VR headset should i buy?". Since you do not need a system being built.. your title is misleading. That's it.

Btw I would get the Valve Index.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution