Given a computer from china with broken windows 7 application--trying to reinstall but I don't read chinese to follow prompt b

ellenamarie

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
My son was given a computer (Sony Vaio - E) and the computer was a Chinese boy's. The computer's Window 7 application is broken and needs to be re-installed. I have a windows 7 disk but the prompt boxes that appear only read in Chinese due to the previous setting. I cannot access anything on the computer only an error message appears. If you don't click the proper box the computer just shuts down. I am afraid to click the wrong box and cause more damage to the computer. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanx

Solution
You appear to have the Windows 7 Install disk from what you said. If so, I also agree you use that to reinstall Windows from scratch.

I forget when the option for English appears though during startup but I assume it would be fairly early (if it's there).

As mentioned you'll need to also install the drivers after. Find the support site for that exact computer and then download the relevant drivers and software. The most important drivers are:
1) main chipset
2) video

Windows 7 will install some drivers itself so if your network and audio is working fine I'd just avoid those. If it's a laptop you might need webcam drivers or other software for keyboard shorcuts etc. Just read through the list of supported drivers/software.

ellenamarie

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
The computer dialog box that prompt's says the computer cannot fix by itself and asks for an error report to be sent. That's all I can get translated from the computer. Once I close out of the box it shuts down the computer not allowing me to access anything else.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I would suggest you format the disk and do a clean install of windows. You will need to install all device drivers, chipset drivers and other software as well. It is the only way to insure you have a clean system. Sounds like you are trying a repair install. Since it has been used by another person it may have viruses or other software defects. I would never try to use and installation that came on a used piece of hardware.

You appear to have the Windows 7 Install disk from what you said. If so, I also agree you use that to reinstall Windows from scratch.

I forget when the option for English appears though during startup but I assume it would be fairly early (if it's there).

As mentioned you'll need to also install the drivers after. Find the support site for that exact computer and then download the relevant drivers and software. The most important drivers are:
1) main chipset
2) video

Windows 7 will install some drivers itself so if your network and audio is working fine I'd just avoid those. If it's a laptop you might need webcam drivers or other software for keyboard shorcuts etc. Just read through the list of supported drivers/software.

Solution

ellenamarie

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Thank u so much. I ended up watching a you tube video an restored the factory settings on the C drive. Now all I have to do is change the language on the windows 7 program. I am bringing it to my friend who can translate,some Chinese an we can get English. Everything else on the computer looks great. Thank u again.

I recommend you make periodic IMAGE BACKUPS with either Acronis True Image 2013, Acronis True Image free (I think only from Seagate or WD if you have one of their internal/external drives) or Windows 7 Image.

Since you know you can do a factory restore, I'd wait and do a backup to a 2nd drive after you:
1) update any DRIVERS if needed
2) Other software
3) Other Windows settings

If it's a generic PC (non-gaming) and everything runs fine you probably don't want to mess with updating drivers or the BIOS if you don't know what you're doing.

Good luck.

deadfish

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
If its a laptop?

dont forget trackball or whatever kind of mouse hardware drivers, I would go download to a flash drive all the latest drivers for that computer from the manuf.

Because even after a fresh install of the Win7 OS.. there is a possibility of getting that annoying issue of typing out an email and at random the prompt decides to bounce up one sentence then a paragraph making your email look like it was written by a dog, because you didn't notice. I seen this happen on Sony Vaios.

If you can't get the language pack (as sounds likely from above) your other option is to get Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit OEM for about $100.

I installed Windows 8 on my dad's 5-year-old HP laptop and it runs really great. The ONLY thing driver I needed was to get the SD card slot to work. I went to the laptop support site for that EXACT laptop and then installed the RICOH MEDIA DRIVER (Vista 64-bit version was latest) and the SD card slot worked.

My advice is to get
Windows 8 64-bit OEM (and START8 from Stardock for $5 to bypass the new start screen).