Question Given the ongoing chip shortage, what would be a reasonable upgrade from my old 1050 Ti (Which does still serve me well)

Apr 19, 2021
I mention it still serving me well because I'm not asking out of some desperate need, just a general want to improve rendering times on certain GPU-heavy tasks, so I won't be paying y'know, £500 for an upgrade that will get me a ~15% performance boost, possibly even lower. As I understand it (though this knowledge is from 2nd hand sources, not checking benchmark sites and the like) that the jump from 10 series NV to 20 series NV was marginal, yet the cost increase wasn't (marginal). And what with scalpers and just general low production, the 30 series is way out of my budget.

I've considered simply going for a 1080 ti or something, I'm not super well versed with AMD cards as I've never owned one, but I would LIKE to make the jump, given a reason to, as I prefer AMD just AS a business, with their more open source innovations compared to NVs proprietary innovations that screw over people with AMD cards (Think TressFX or whatever it was called, and the tesselation thing they did that also made AMD cards <Mod Edit> themselves, before a patch was made). To go back to NV, I would love an RTX capable card, but again, out of my price range.

So yeah I think I covered my bases there, kind of what I'm looking for, where I'm willing to turn a blind eye to slight improvements in the name of supporting AMD over NV just because of business practices.

Hope I dont get hate for this post, I'm just looking for an improved card, with a price increase in the same ballpark as performance increase.

Thanks for your help, anyone who takes the time to reply =]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope I dont get hate for this post, I'm just looking for an improved card, with a price increase in the same ballpark as performance increase.
Nah, go with what looks best to you as a product. Company loyalty is a dumb thing.

I'd say just wait. Save up your money and wait until this chip shortage blows over. Maybe things will look better later next year. Maybe the crypto market will tank sooner and suddenly there's a flood of cards hitting the market. Or if you have your eyes set on something more recent, hound it until you see it drops to a price you're willing to pay.

Apr 19, 2021
Oh I have no brand loyalty, that line is there specifically because I know so many DO have brand loyalty, and was attempting to make clear I don't prefer one over another, even though I do mention how NVs 20 series is essentially worth skipping when looking for a GPU.

I'll check the performance difference of the top end 10 series card is compared to my 1050 ti , and see if it lines up with the price. I'll report back if I have anh interesting findings :)