gjagent startup (is it malware) please help

khris007

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I was looking in my task manager startup processes and found one called gjagent, there was no publisher signature and no known startup impact. I know that other people on the internet were saying that it could be from installing war thunder which I had on steam but uninstalled it to see if this problem would go away. After uninstalling war thunder, the process didn't go away so I then disabled it in task manager. I also clicked on the option (search online) in task manager. The first website result was from a site called ( booturpc.com ) which said that it was a virus that I had obtained from malicious websites and links online, It also said that this "virus shares my personal information and makes my web browsing slow. First of all I never click suspicious links and I also have Bitdefender Total Securtiy 2018 which hasn't detected anything. After disabling this process, the top webpage that would appear on bing wouldn't appear anymore. I also searched in file explorer for this process because I couldn't search using the (search online) feature. After searching, I found a file with a microsoft edge logo on it, I clicked on the file and it took me to the same ( booturpc.com ) webpage with the same text on it. As of right now, I am running a full scan of my computer using Bitdefender Total Security 2018 which is fully updated to the latest virus definitions, my computer has Windows 10 Home Premium which is fully updated the last check for updates being performed today. Any advice is very much appreciated and thank you for your time and consideration.

Solution
Have you disabled it? If not, go ahead and disable it.

Next, download [AutoRuns], it's from Microsoft and you don't have to install it. Just unzip to a folder and run it.

Note: AutoRuns is a "powerful" program. If you feel that something isn't right as you are doing the steps below, then stop and don't use it. Don't go off deleting random things from AutoRuns.

At the top of AutoRuns there is a search bar called a "Filter". Type in gjagent in the filter. Hopefully that finds it in the list below. If so, right click on it and choose Delete.

If the Filter search does not find it, erase everything in the Filter search box and then look through the files to see if you can find where it starts from. Right click on...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, so you had War Thunder installed and on the War Thunder website, one of their senior technical moderators says what it is:
This application perodically check for updates for Gaijin.Net games.
Source: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/342963-what-is-gjagentexe/
I would tend to believe what he/she is saying.

Just because you uninstalled the game, that doesn't mean it uninstalled the junk that came with it.

Watch this video to see if it helps:
[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3QkfQ8yMK8][/video]

This was likely a file from your browser web history. Delete all temporary internet files and web browser history to see if that clears it up.

khris007

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

Thank you for the advice. unfortunately the process is still in the startup tab of task manager for some reason. Im not sure why.

gardenman

Splendid
Have you disabled it? If not, go ahead and disable it.

Next, download [AutoRuns], it's from Microsoft and you don't have to install it. Just unzip to a folder and run it.

Note: AutoRuns is a "powerful" program. If you feel that something isn't right as you are doing the steps below, then stop and don't use it. Don't go off deleting random things from AutoRuns.

At the top of AutoRuns there is a search bar called a "Filter". Type in gjagent in the filter. Hopefully that finds it in the list below. If so, right click on it and choose Delete.

If the Filter search does not find it, erase everything in the Filter search box and then look through the files to see if you can find where it starts from. Right click on it and choose Delete.

Once deleted, reboot and make sure it's gone from the Startup tab in Task Manager.

Solution

khris007

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017