glad, yet sad....

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Hey.. I finally built my first computer but i have two concerns.. the first will make all of your slap your foreheads with disgust...while taking the processor out of the little box it was in, i bent about 8 of the pins on the processor but managed to get them aligned correctly... works fine now but will there be a problem? second, i want to get windows 98 se upgrade, but i dunno if i should go for windows xp instead.. any reccomendations? Also, is unlockin very hard to do in practice? i've read a bunch of effortless how-to articles, but i dunno if a newbie could do it.. thanks

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

FatBurger

Illustrious
If the processor works, it works. But I would've gottten a new one instead of bending them back.

Windows XP is way better than Windows 98, but I've always hated Win98.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
first off, i would go with xp myself, but check to make sure your not going to have app compat problems. you shouldnt have any problems with the bent pins as long as you dont keep messing with it. as for unlocking, its different for each proccessor, tell us what proccessor it is.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Yea you should be ok. Go ahead and keep the CPU. But if you ever take it out in the future be extra carefull because the pins are now about 10 times weaker and could brake easily. Oh and I for one think XP is a hundred times better than 98 and would recomend the purchase. Or you could download a professional hack off kaza. I have the hacked version running on one of my Computers at the shop and it is exactly as good as the normal XP. And about the unlocking, well its kinda tricky although I've seen kits to guide you through stuff like that. Try directron.com they have all kind of computer accessories. Welp, hope that helped.

taylor

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Yea you should be ok. Go ahead and keep the CPU. But if you ever take it out in the future be extra carefull because the pins are now about 10 times weaker and could brake easily. Oh and I for one think XP is a hundred times better than 98 and would recomend the purchase. Or you could download a professional hack off kaza. I have the hacked version running on one of my Computers at the shop and it is exactly as good as the normal XP. And about the unlocking, well its kinda tricky although I've seen kits to guide you through stuff like that. Try directron.com they have all kind of computer accessories. Welp, hope that helped.

taylor

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Oh you know me, I come and go. Get mad and then leave for a while, then come back. I wanted to post a thread with the 3Dlabs' P10 VPU Vs. the Matrox Parhelia-512 I just wanted to see what peole would think will be better. These are two interesting cards. I don't know, if you want to tell me what you think go to my thread. K? good deal

taylor

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
thanks for the info.. I have an AMD XP 1900+ and its a brown core...once i have everything settled down i'm going to unlock and watercool.. :smile:

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
For the os, avoid win 98 se or me, they suck. Go for maybe even win 2000 pro if you can get your hands on it.

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Win98SE is your best choice. A nice stable OS with lots of features and better compatability than any OS before or since. I run 98SE exclusively and have had my system run for 2 months cracking code without problems.

Of course there are many people in here who don't know how to build stable systems, and they will recommend XP for the simple reason that it can recover from certain errors caused by a faulty system, but I prefer to eliminate unstable parts and programs rather than patch the problem with XP, an OS wich does not support a bunch of my hardware, some of my software, and requires FOUR TIMES the memory of 98SE to reach optimum performance.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
As for the CPU / pins thing, i would just assume that the CPU is now going to remain with the motherboard for life. Dont remove it, as pins may well snap. You want to upgrade? Sell the two together, dont pull the CPU out. Of course, if you do that, do be honest with the product desciption....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Over a thousand systems built and not one pin snaped in the process. In fact, I've dropped CPU's at least 50 times where the pins were mashed, and I've always been able to straighten them. It takes a really determined fool to make these things non-foolproof.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
i wasn't really thinking about taking it out again except for when i unlock the processor but that should be the last time...

edited Portion:
Actually i need to ask one more question. When i take the processor out for unlocking, what should i place it on so that it is safe from more bending?

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mnx4 on 05/23/02 07:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>