Info Glaring Amazon Alexa Security Flaw

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I discovered this one today about 2 hours ago.

When I powered up a new Amazon Alexa Show 5 for my kids room, my security software immediately alerted me to a new device on the network.

I hadn't even configured the device yet. How did it connect to my network? The best I could figure was it reached out to other devices in the house from Amazon and asked for the local network key.

This is a BIG F'N NO! I don't even let google backup our network access keys.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
....along with tri-wing bits....

Yep. I have not seen those particularly frequently, but acquired a set of Y-drivers (Tri-Wing drivers) for a project about 2 years ago.

You would think that by now every possible "fastener cut style" has been invented, because there are plenty, but it seems there's always someone that has to come up with some odd new one. Between slotted, Phillips, Torx, and square all bases are covered as far as I'm concerned.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And for precision screwdrivers one doesn't need "durability" in the conventional sense.

Over the decades I've managed to destroy any number of "typically sized" straight slotted or Phillips head drivers, but I have never once done so with a precision driver. The forces involved in their use are so small.

Cheap works just fine, and works for years, in the "tiny screwdriver" realm if you don't abuse them in some way.

LOL....when it comes to the desperation of removing a fastener in the field, and the sacrificial nature of a duplicate slotted or Phillip's driver, abuse is a way of life. (The Dremel tool and J-B Weld have found their way into fastener removal duty in some extreme cases.)

On balance, though I've actually found it easier on my nerves to just have the proper (durable) tools available for use....and it makes for a better "presentation" to be able to re-use the original fasteners upon re-assembly.