"Glass Cockpit" for car

Jacle4e

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Ok, so I don't know if this would be the right place to post this, but it seems like it is. Anyway, I have a 2010 Jerp Patriot North. My dream car is a tesla, obviously that's a bit to high of a price for me, however, the tinkerer in me had an idea... What if I take my jeep and build my own glass cockpit for it similar to the tesla's. Ive been looking at the Nvidia Jetson Automotive Development Platform, but I don't know if thats available to consumers. Do any of you have advice on how I can achieve my vision?

G

This isn't the right place to post this, this is a computer hardware forum, not a car repair forum, you might want to try out this website though:

http://www.jeepforum.com/

Hope this helps!

G

Ah, it looks like I spoke too soon. Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to point people in that direction from now on!

USAFRet

Titan
"Glass cockpit" in aircraft is only the display. Changeable, in that each screen can serve multiple purposes.
However the actual functionality is still buttons/knobs/switches.

Unlike far too many cars today, they are not touchscreen.

For your car, you have quite a few considerations.
Temp and humidity. Switchology.

You can run a LOT of that directly off the OBDII port, either USB or bluetooth, directly out to a laptop.
Get fancy enough, and you could pair two laptops and their screens.

However...what are you doing? Messing with the displays, or driving the car?

Jacle4e

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

I know what a glass cockpit in a plane looks like, I am a pilot. I am looking at making something like what the tesla has were almost all controls are done through a touch screen.

Jacle4e

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

May I ask why you believe touch screens are stupid in cars?

USAFRet

Titan

With a physical knob, I can change the A/C, or change the radio station and volume, or turn the wipers on without looking. Without taking my eyes off the road.
And different functions are in different places, and have different required movements. The wiper is a knob that is here, and rotates this way. The radio is a whole different shape and place, and rotates that way.
Much, much easier than navigating through a menu tree to get to a particular function. I need the wipers NOW, not 5 seconds from now.

With a touchscreen, I have to actually look at the thing. No tactile feedback telling me I'm performing the right action.
If I'm looking at the device, I'm not looking out the window. Be it aircraft or car.