Question Glitch / Flickering problem on my laptop

Jul 30, 2019
Hi,
since yesterday i have graphical issues with my laptop after playing a game under Windows, which made it unusable. This problem then also occured on my Kubuntu ( i have a dual boot system) and on a Debian Live CD, so i think there may be something wrong with my hardware?

In Windows, i disabled all my devices under Display Adapters( Intel HD Graphics 5500 and Nvidia Geforce 840m) , according to dxdiag i'm using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver after uninstalling/reinstalling the devices didn't change anything. The glitches are gone, but the functionality is limited i.e the screen brightness can't be adjusted.

Can anyone help me identify the problem and how to fix it?

Which LAPTOP model/brand is it ? How OLD is the Laptop ?

Any idea about the GPU and CPU Temp when the flickering occurs ? Any signs of overheating. But from your description it does seem like a hardware issue, either the GPU, RAM, and some other related component.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019
It's a 4 year old Acer e5-571g. The flickering seems to be a permanent issue . As i said, after disabling all display adapters, i am able to use the laptop with limited functionality.