[SOLVED] GLITCH: Windows 10 Flashes for half a second then tabs become black and the desktop icons and the desktop itself becomes black

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
I'm having issues with my Windows 10 recently, whenever I'm casually using my pc and while I'm editing, the display flickers for half a second then everything becomes black, the taskbar disappears, the tabs that are open are partially black and the only way to revert this issue is to hover the mouse where the icons should be. I have no issues when it comes to gaming though, the glitch, for some reason, doesn't show itself when I'm playing games. There are also some times wherein hovering the mouse over the icons that disappeared doesn't even work and the only workaround is to restart the PC and then the problem will again appear. I don't know how frequent and what time interval the glitch happens, but whenever I use the PC it shows up. Before posting this thread, I did a lot of research, did numerous fixes, but still nothing worked! I give up, so my last resort is to post a thread hoping somebody can help me with this matter. I even reformatted my PC more than 5 times already, updated and downloaded all of the drivers and updating the BIOS but the problem still persists, and the worse part is my PC IS BRAND NEW, not even a month old. Here's a few screenshots of the glitch I'm trying to describe.
View: https://imgur.com/Htc0yiB

View: https://imgur.com/mu6GJic

These are my PC specs if they serve any good
CPU: Ryzen 7 5900x
Motherboard: Asus b550-F Gaming WIFI
GPU: ASUS TUF 6700XT
RAM: 2400mhz corsair vengeance lpx
Cooler: Corsair H115I 280mm cooler
Power Supply: 750 watt corsair rmx psu
Hard drive: 1tb western digital
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb

The PC starts up fine, you can log in without issues, but after sometime this glitch happens, I also am wary of viruses so I watch what I put into the system, so it can't be, but can still possibly be a corrupted windows OS (even though I attempted a lot of reformatting).
I am sure that this is a software issue not a hardware one, I tried using safe mode for long hours and the problem doesn't appear, so the problem is within windows itself.

PLS. HELP ME AND THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Go to settings, ease of access, at the bottom of the page it says show desktop background image, make sure that is on. Then go to personalization settings and choose whatever background and theme/ colors you want set up for desktop, sign out of windows, then sign back in. See if this helps

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Go to settings, ease of access, at the bottom of the page it says show desktop background image, make sure that is on. Then go to personalization settings and choose whatever background and theme/ colors you want set up for desktop, sign out of windows, then sign back in. See if this helps
I've checked my settings the "show desktop background" option has been on all along, But I turned it off and did what you said...observing my system behavior now...going to update you as soon as I am sure that the issue is resolved. Thanks

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
EDIT: To all people who might encounter this issue, especially the ones who have the same GPU as I have which is the 6700XT TUF Gaming OC from ASUS. Don't worry I found a solution, if you're on a 144hz monitor just like me, turn down the refresh rate from 144 to 120. It turns out that this is a software issue, not hardware (thank God). As I did a lot of research, the 6700XT doesn't have perfect drivers yet and AMD is still trying to solve this issue, so all we can do is wait. For the meantime, the workaround is to turn down your refresh rate. I found out that this is more of a prevalent issue for users with 144hz monitors and for users of the 6000 series AMD GPU's, assuming most of you have it, since why would you buy a high end GPU and have a 60hz monitor? It doesn't matter if you have a different brand of the 6700xt, regardless of the brand most 6700XT models suffer from this issue, which sucks. I was close to RMA'ing my card, which is not worth it for me because I don't have the money to buy a new GPU anymore and if did sell this card, then I just threw out money out the window, I won't be able to sell it at the price as it was when it was brand new.