Glitching/Twitching on first computer build!! Pleaseeeee help!!

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hey Guys, I've recently just built my first PC. Everything went as planned and has worked out well for a few weeks now. Its always had a slight twitch with the mouse (it freezes for a second every few minutes or so) it had seemed to be getting worse along the way along with the keyboard. Issues such as stuck keys which make me think its because of the wireless aspect of the mouse and keyboard. I made sure to buy top shelf product, got the $119 wireless logitech back lit keyboard and M510 mouse. I wasnt sure if it was just the wireless that was messing up or the computer itself, since this issss my first build i'm not sure what to expect.

After a few weeks of putting up with it my games are now twitching out and being weird. (dont have the best internet connection) ((in the process of upgrading my router)) but i dont believe the internet is what was causing this glitchy lag.

Again this is my first build so i'm not sure where to start to try to solve this. Anything is going to help thanks guys!

Intel i7 4770K
Gigabyte Z78X-UD5H
NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Classified

Solution
Without seeing it first hand, it's somewhat hard to say what it might be, but my first thought is that there may be some interference in the wireless signal for your mouse and keyboard. Are they wireless or Bluetooth? Do you have a little USB adapter that is plugged in for them to connect to? When it happens, is your system under a high load, or just idling?

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Without seeing it first hand, it's somewhat hard to say what it might be, but my first thought is that there may be some interference in the wireless signal for your mouse and keyboard. Are they wireless or Bluetooth? Do you have a little USB adapter that is plugged in for them to connect to? When it happens, is your system under a high load, or just idling?

Solution

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
thanks for such the quick reply Skeefers!

But the system would be idling and still having those glitches! They are wireless as far as i know, no bluetooth i dont think. the little usb has been plugged into the computer for the mouse and keyboard, they are running off the same usb receiver. What makes me think its not that is during gameplay its not smooth at all.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Just to eliminate this s a possibility, is the USB connector plugged into the front of your case, or the back? I would suggest putting it up front if you can, just to put less distance and electrical components between them.

If that doesn't work, I'll probably have a few more questions for you before I come up with another possible cause.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I've put the USB plug in the front not and the twitches have seemed to stop so far but during gameplay its still not smooth at all, real jerky...The games I am playing are online multiplayer (BF3 and Ghost Recon online) so I'm thinking its possibly my internet. Its funny because the internet on my macbook pro seems to be more reliable and quick than the pc. My internet router and modem are in a room on the other side of the house. I've been thinking about updating the one we have and putting the new one closer to my room or something so i can plug straight through ethernet. I was just curious if there was any error codes somewhere i could check to see if there is a way to diagnose the issue.

thanks again for the help !!

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
In regards to network connections, I had issues with my wireless for my desktop a few years ago so I ended up getting a powerline adapter that runs the ethernet over your power outlets.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=netgear+powerline&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Basically it allows you to plug a box into an outlet near your router, and a second near your PC, connecting each end with an ethernet cable to the device there, and then transmits data across your electrical wiring. It works wonderfully, and meant not having to have cables strung all over the place.

Your internet connection could easily cause some problems, but just to be sure I'd suggest taking a look at what processes are running while you play a game to see if something is taking up a large amount of processor time or RAM. If you need to know how to do that, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I just ran a game that did not require the internet and same issue. This seemed to be a lot worse though. Now that i think about it i believe there was a nvidia video card update or something and it suggested me to change certain things to high quality or very high and that was around the time all this began i thinkk. i'm not quite sure to be honest. But yeah i'm new to all this computer building and trouble shooting, not sure at all how to check that at all. A walkthrough would be extremely helpful and much appreciated. I'm trying to learn every in and out on this computer technology. I'm in school for video production and knowing these aspects are going to help tremendously.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
If you're referring to the GeForce Experience program, typically its settings work pretty well in my experience, but it's possible that something was enabled that is hurting performance. Without seeing a list of each game it adjusted, and the settings it made, it's hard for me to say though. You may want to open that program and check to see if there are any updates for the nVidia drivers available (only use the stable builds, not beta drivers, since you're having problems right now), and once you install those try to have it optimize your games again (optimize them whether you update the drivers or not). It should take into account all of your hardware and not just the video card itself. Let me know if doing that helps any, and then we can try some other things if necessary.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

As i went through and looked at the GeForce Experience I check for updates on the driver and there wasn't any. I also optimized all the games again. The game i mainly play wasnt even on the list (Ghost Recon Online) But i think that is because i probably didnt download anything for it, i'm not sure. Which all games are still glitching. Some are slow with jerky movements (BF3) When i change the video settings to a lower setting such as medium or high its smoothens it out very slightly but is still there and very noticeable. The twitch/freeze up with the mouse is still there also, which isnt happening often, id say around every 3-5 minutes it happens once or so. I noticed today it stopped the music that was playing on Spotify with the small glitch which to me means its not just the mouse and keyboard connection, it has to be something more internal...

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Ok, let's try something else then. Press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, which will open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and sort it by the CPU column so that the processes with the largest numbers in the CPU column are at the top of the list. You may want to drag out the Image Name column so that you can read the whole field because that's what we need to see to determine what the problem is.

Make sure that Task Manager is the only program you have open, then tell me the top 3 processes on the list (these are the programs with the most activity currently ongoing). If one of them is System Idle Process, and it reads at 90+, that just means that your processor isn't currently doing a whole lot, which is a good thing.

Once we get that, I'll tell you if we need more information or if it has indicated a problem. Also, note whether or not the mouse is being glitchy as you're getting the top 3 on the list so I can determine if one of them is part of the problem.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Its all 00's in the CPU column

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Did you sort it (click on the word CPU) so that the larger numbers show at the top? If most things are 0, your System Idle Process should very close to 99.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

yeah i did that... everything was at 00

Also the internet is cutting in and out, I'm on my macbook pro right now sitting next to the computer and it isnt connected to the internet but the mac is just fine... i got the Extreme N Desktop PCI Adapter which seemed to be the better of the choices of wireless cards for the build... but it doesnt seem to be doing the job..

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Was the mouse acting up at all while you were doing that?

Next I want you to get the Task Manager open again and sort it the same way by CPU. Start opening programs, and maybe a game as well, until your mouse starts getting twitchy. Once that happens, note the first 3 processes on the list and let me know what they are.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

So I've done as instructed and it never seemed to ever get twitchy. I ran Adobe After effects, Premiere Pro, Spotify, ran few different chrome tabs, youtube videos playing, as soon as i got into Planetside 2 thats when it all goes glitchy and twitchy ( but thats only once in gameplay) before gameplay during the loading of the game it all seems fine. I never go a glitch during normal using until I got into the game. When I keep the game going in the background and go back to the desktop everything is fine, nothings lagging or being weird.
rendering Footage - 30. (CPU#'s)
playback footage 10-18
watching a youtube video gives me a few anywhere from 1 to 4+ "chrome.exe *32" (image name) cycling around from 01-04.
And while idle with game in background I'm getting 10-11 with from PlanetSide2.exe *32

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
It appears that maybe the games are taxing the system more than they should, and this is what is causing the problem with the mouse. I'm going to need some information. In your first post you listed a few components that you have, but could you list everything in the system; PSU, RAM, HDDs...everything. Also, do you have a second monitor you can hook up so you can view Task Manager while you're running the game? Maybe borrow one from a friend or something, if not.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

yessirrrrr I have a TV i can hook a HDMI for another monitor! As for the specs here they are: (and of course correct me if i leave anything specific out)

NZXT Switch 810 Case (Full)
Intel i7-4770K 3.5 GHz / 8 MB Cache W/ NZXT Respire T40 Cooler
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H Mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Classified 4 GB GDDR5
Intel SSD 520 Series 240GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal HD
Corsair HX850
Extreme N Desktop PCI Adapter
Asus 12X Blu-ray Writer (which I need a good software to play movies i haven't been able to figure out how to get a movie to play either... :pfff:
Have NZXT Sentry 2 Fan controller and Hue RGB LED controller
Logitech k800 (wireless backlit keyboard) and M510 mouse (not that the last few really matter, i just thought id do it all.

I believe that is everything

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
That should be everything, yep :) While I'm researching those parts, if you could get your second screen hooked up and do exactly what you did before, but with Task Manager open on the other monitor so you can see it, that would be great.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Thanks so much for the help man! I really do appreciate it!! Setting up second monitor now! Looking for the same CPU numbers again?

How'd I do selecting parts for my first build...? This being my first build I had a friend helping me out who knew a lotttt more than i did. I built this for video editing/production mainly... with games in mind also.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
These are the readings for running Ghost Recon, Premiere, After effects, multiple internet tabs...

Idle/Waiting for gameplay = Ghost Recon;05-08 / Chrome ; 00-01
Top three are Ghost Recon / chromse / dfsvc.exe

During Gameplay Recon goes from around 8-15. While entering the match i saw a spike of around 90+
With the games running in the background I open premiere and play around with it causing CPU to go anywhere from 15-60+ for Premiere
While working in Premiere, and playing Recon, & After Effects idle I'm getting a top three of Premiere, Recon, Chrome and it bounces around between dwm.exe & dfsvc.exe coming in and out of the top three

P.S.

Premiere and After Effects seem to work fine, its just mainly during gameplay. I just got into splinter Cell and changed the video settings all the way up and it exaggerated the issue a lot. it seems to me that its pointing back to a video card issue. But I made sure I got a good one so it wouldnt crap out on me.. idk... i dont understand whats up -.-

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
That's odd, I expected to see much higher numbers from at least one or two processes that might narrow down an issue. At this point, I can only think that the game settings are just too high for your system and that you're seeing a more pronounced effect since your mouse is wireless. Do you have a wired mouse you could plug in to see if the same problem happens with it?

Since your setup should easily be able to play those games at near to max settings, I'm going to suggest that you also go to Gigabyte's website and download the newest drivers for the various components of your motherboard just to make sure they aren't causing any issues.

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I dont have one at the moment but i'll get one from a friend asap. But wouldnt the mouse be messing up in other programs too such as after effects and others if it was the mouse connection? Ill go check their website now

Austinlorenzen

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I talked to Recon Support about their game glitching and they said that my system only has 64MB of dedicated memory while Recon requires 256MB or more. And they told me to google how to increase my dedicated memory. So i'll be doing that i guess.