News Global 3D NAND Market Shrinks by 24.3 Percent in Q3 2022

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Personally I have stopped upgradation on several PC because I never found an explanation for the dramatic drop in TBW ratings
The move to TLC and then to QLC dramatically affected drive wear. Also some manufacturers lower ratings to reduce warranty costs. It doesn't really matter to the average consumer workload. A 4TB drive with 0.3 drive writes per day is still over 1TB per day. There aren't many workloads that can sustain that nonstop. If you have a workload like that, then you 1. get pricier enterprise stuff, or 2. get more consumer drives than you need and spread writes around, or 3. plan to replace early.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
The move to TLC and then to QLC dramatically affected drive wear. Also some manufacturers lower ratings to reduce warranty costs. It doesn't really matter to the average consumer workload. A 4TB drive with 0.3 drive writes per day is still over 1TB per day. There aren't many workloads that can sustain that nonstop. If you have a workload like that, then you 1. get pricier enterprise stuff, or 2. get more consumer drives than you need and spread writes around, or 3. plan to replace early.
I have come to realise the problem is probably the MS Direct storage, which increases the TBW by something like an order of magnitude. So the warranties are being reduced ii n respond-- somewhat similar to what happened during the CHIA blip