News Global DRAM Revenue Dropped 30% Last Quarter in Unprecedented Crisis

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I see no point in buying new RAM. I have 16GB of DDR4 I got very cheap. I am not about to throw that away for expensive DDR5 that isn't any faster in real-world use.

If your platform doesn't support DDR4 (cough AM5), I will simply buy my CPU from the competition. I'm not going to waste $200 on DDR5 when I have perfectly working DDR4, I can spend that on a better GPU or CPU which actually does improve performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrusfox

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I see no point in buying new RAM. I have 16GB of DDR4 I got very cheap. I am not about to throw that away for expensive DDR5 that isn't any faster in real-world use.

If your platform doesn't support DDR4 (cough AM5), I will simply buy my CPU from the competition. I'm not going to waste $200 on DDR5 when I have perfectly working DDR4, I can spend that on a better GPU or CPU which actually does improve performance.
How easily people forget just how often Intel would change both it's socket type and memory when it was basically the only game in town for high end performance. AMD finally changes things up after sticking to its promise to AM4 keep for many years giving users easy and consistent upgrades until now and everyone is whining. Please.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
AMD finally changes things up after sticking to its promise to AM4 keep for many years giving users easy and consistent upgrades until now and everyone is whining. Please.

It's not about whining, but about not throwing my money down the drain. I spent money on perfectly working DDR4 that is just as fast as DDR5 in real-world. I am not about to spend money on new ram just because AMD did X or Y in the past, I am not a charity.

I couldn't give a toss what AMD or Intel did or didn't do in the past, I am not beholden to billion $ companies.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
It's not about whining, but about not throwing my money down the drain. I spent money on perfectly working DDR4 that is just as fast as DDR5 in real-world. I am not about to spend money on new ram just because AMD did X or Y in the past, I am not a charity.

I couldn't give a toss what AMD or Intel did or didn't do in the past, I am not beholden to billion $ companies.
Thank you, finally someone who isn't a blind AMD fanboy.

Customers vote with their wallet and DDR5, ain't it. Nothing wrong about AM5, but expecting customers to buy whole new RAM for a lot of cash is quite a demand just to have a newer platform. No.

Those zero-tax paying billion dollar companies and shareholders need to cater us, not the other way around.

How easily people forget just how often Intel would change both it's socket type and memory when it was basically the only game in town for high end performance. AMD finally changes things up after sticking to its promise to AM4 keep for many years giving users easy and consistent upgrades until now and everyone is whining. Please.
Very much this.
I will be picking up an AM5 system soon (maybe BF/CM). I look forward to being able to carry AT LEAST my motherboard into 2025 and beyond. There will DEFINITELY be a CPU upgrade path. There will most likely be a faster/cheaper RAM upgrade path. Yes, AM5 motherboards are expensive.

But also, YES, if you want to go cheaper on the whole package (CPU, motherboard, RAM) and pick up an Intel 13th-gen system, then you will buy into the last CPU gen to be on LGA1700. Intel's 14th-gen will be on a brand new socket (LGA 2551).

For those who already have some components, the choice is harder, of course. If you already have an Intel LGA1700 motherboard (that is compatible with Intel-13th gen), decent RAM, and a good PSU, Intel's 13th-gen is a no-brainer for breathing new life into an aging system.

Reactions: Sluggotg

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Customers vote with their wallet and DDR5, ain't it. Nothing wrong about AM5, but expecting customers to buy whole new RAM for a lot of cash is quite a demand just to have a newer platform. No.
Idk about your "customers", but I'm voting with my wallet for DDR5. I've completely skipped DDR4 and hope that it'll serve me as good as DDR3 (also bought that on release skipping DDR->DDR3).

Surely DDR5 is more expensive now, but cheap Samsung-4800 isn't that bad compared to decent DDR4 and should overclock till the sweet spot of 6000 (still waiting for mine order).

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Idk about your "customers", but I'm voting with my wallet for DDR5. I've completely skipped DDR4 and hope that it'll serve me as good as DDR3 (also bought that on release skipping DDR->DDR3).

Surely DDR5 is more expensive now, but cheap Samsung-4800 isn't that bad compared to decent DDR4 and should overclock till the sweet spot of 6000 (still waiting for mine order).
Most people don't have or want to throw that kind of extra cash out, especially not during these difficult times where people barely get by while corps make great profit...

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with 3200 DDR4 RAM. Sure it's not as fast as 4800 or 5000+ MHz RAM but realistically 3200 is enough for everyone.

Most people don't overclock RAM. At maximum XMP1.

As the other person said, most folks just bought premium DDR4 RAM. AM5 doesn't justify new RAM, that's just financially irresponsible.

I don't see how AM5 must have DDR5. AM5 could've allowed DDR4 compatibility and more people would jump on.

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Most people don't have or want to throw that kind of extra cash out, especially not during these difficult times where people barely get by while corps make great profit...

As the other person said, most folks just bought premium DDR4 RAM. AM5 doesn't justify new RAM, that's just financially irresponsible.
It looks to me that you are just trying to convince yourself that you've done the right thing when actually it's you who wasted the money (or do you seriously think that most people buy premium RAM?)

Upgrading to DDR5 can be very efficient. Don't say that other people are wasting money when they are more efficient than you. DDR4 could be skipped altogether.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
It looks to me that you are just trying to convince yourself that you've done the right thing when actually it's you who wasted the money (or do you seriously think that most people buy premium RAM?)

Upgrading to DDR5 can be very efficient. Don't say that other people are wasting money when they are more efficient than you. DDR4 could be skipped altogether.
DDR5 is wasted money.

Did you just assumed that I was trying to justify my purchase?

Mate I upgrades from 2400 to DDR4 3200 yeeaaaars ago, before DDR5 was a public thing. My mainboard would probably lit on fire if I go over 3200.

Sounds more and more like you're trying to justify having wasted a bunch of cash for an equally performing platform:ROFLMAO:

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Ok, it seems some people are unable to plan ahead at all. Current Intel's platform is made for you: DDR4, inexpensive motherboards (and you can throw them out of the window ~2 years later as they have zero upgrade capability). The most "efficient" way for sure.