GlobalFoundries Unleashing 7-nm Process Tech in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
keep in mind that as we get smaller, OC ability falls. 7 nm does not give a lot of head room for a large range of power.

Hopefully we see a large enough performance jump to cover the lack of OC headroom.

is this even for [strike]steamroller[/strike] future apus? looks like it'll be for low power mobile socs, not for higher performance apus and cpus. the process for the apus doesn't seem to be ready yet...

drbaltazar

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Intel still have yet to find a cooling solution (a la 32 nm but for 22nm )and these guy are ready for 20 nm ?lol!I bet if Intel find a cooling solution they LL be ready before lol.reaching smaller is relatively easy!cooling smaller is the main problem now

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I thought 10nm was as small a fab process that could go and be cost effective. At sizes smaller than 10nm the distance between channels/transistors required to insulate from electron overflow would be cost prohibitive (more than half the wafer would be empty space.)

Unless they found a new way to make electricity travel, I don't see anyone making a CPU out of these revolutionary new transistors until much later than 2016.

anham

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Unless they found a new way to make electricity travel, I don't see anyone making a CPU out of these revolutionary new transistors until much later than 2016.[/citation]
In a since they did. FinFET transistors leak less power, look into it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
So by about 2020 we will have to get used to articles about the new processors using 800pm technology...working it's way down from there ?

Funny how the US insists on inches, acres and miles, but uses the decimal systems in computer chips [nm], bullet sizes [9mm], drug quantities [kilo] and sodas [2liter bottles or 1/3rd liter cans].

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]So by about 2020 we will have to get used to articles about the new processors using 800pm technology...working it's way down from there ?Funny how the US insists on inches, acres and miles, but uses the decimal systems in computer chips [nm], bullet sizes [9mm], drug quantities [kilo] and sodas [2liter bottles or 1/3rd liter cans].[/citation]
Cans are 12oz in the U.S.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]drbaltazar[/nom]Intel still have yet to find a cooling solution (a la 32 nm but for 22nm )and these guy are ready for 20 nm ?lol!I bet if Intel find a cooling solution they LL be ready before lol.reaching smaller is relatively easy!cooling smaller is the main problem now[/citation]
Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy because the Intel used a cheap thermal paste under the IHS, rather than soldering. Any blame directected at the smaller fab process was/is false. Plus the problem is user(enthusiast) fixable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4
And mobile CPU's are fine, smaller packaging - no IHS.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]is this even for steamroller future apus? looks like it'll be for low power mobile socs, not for higher performance apus and cpus. the process for the apus doesn't seem to be ready yet...[/citation]
In fact they do.Is not a new transitor type (FinFET) wich would require many adaptations from the curent design, it just need the new electrical libraries and then send the CAD servers to a geometry reduction.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]So by about 2020 we will have to get used to articles about the new processors using 800pm technology...[/citation]

Not realy. At 5nm the Elctron-Hole pairs flow has been detected in silicon but it seen to be a material end of the road.At 1nm the Tunnel Effect and the Transistor Effect are equaly important.The potencial barrier (base of the transistor) not longer hold up.

BTW: due the heisenberg principle, the angstrom is commonly used at that scales.The pm is too small to be measured and be of utility.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Agreed. 800nm likely isn't even possible(quantum computer future anyway) but if it were it's way beyond 2020 technology. 5nm by 2020 and serveral more reductions(halving) later... 1nm ~2028
source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_nanometer
interesting chart on wikipedia, starting at 10um back in 1971
@realibrad, your OC theory would just be magic with a thick old fab process, who needs billions of tranistors? What are they thinking? ...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.