Question Globally-Unstable Wireless Connection: Possible Causes?

PeteCress

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
"Unstable" in that the connection is dropped as soon as "Authenticating" is done - less than one second.

"Globally" in that the problem happens over three Android phones and an Android tablet - but, strangly, not with two instances of AndroidTV (Sony Bravia and nVidia SHIELD). There also seems to be a problem with all of my IoT devices - including Amazon Echos.

It also happens with the above array of client devices trying to connect to four different routers/WAPs (running at different times, not simultaneously).
  • Verizon's ActionTec router
  • Netgear's "Orbi" mesh networking system
  • An old Cisco E3000 router
  • The latest: a Netgear "Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router, model R8000" - bought in despiration hoping that throwing money at the problem would help.
One more weirdness: occassionally, but only occasionally, the problem seems to go away. For instance, when I got up at 0700 this morning my phone had a stable connection to the Verizon ActionTec router.... but that became unstable sometime later in the morning.

Onset was a couple weeks ago and, for the life of me, I cannot think of anything I have changed coincident with the onset.

Seems like I'm down to some sort of RF interferance.

If that's the case, can anybody suggest troubleshooting methods?

This is all waaaaay above my pay grade.... so if anybody can suggest other possible causes I am up for it.

kanewolf

Titan
"Unstable" in that the connection is dropped as soon as "Authenticating" is done - less than one second.

"Globally" in that the problem happens over three Android phones and an Android tablet - but, strangly, not with two instances of AndroidTV (Sony Bravia and nVidia SHIELD). There also seems to be a problem with all of my IoT devices - including Amazon Echos.

It also happens with the above array of client devices trying to connect to four different routers/WAPs (running at different times, not simultaneously).
  • Verizon's ActionTec router
  • Netgear's "Orbi" mesh networking system
  • An old Cisco E3000 router
  • The latest: a Netgear "Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router, model R8000" - bought in despiration hoping that throwing money at the problem would help.
One more weirdness: occassionally, but only occasionally, the problem seems to go away. For instance, when I got up at 0700 this morning my phone had a stable connection to the Verizon ActionTec router.... but that became unstable sometime later in the morning.

Onset was a couple weeks ago and, for the life of me, I cannot think of anything I have changed coincident with the onset.

Seems like I'm down to some sort of RF interferance.

If that's the case, can anybody suggest troubleshooting methods?

This is all waaaaay above my pay grade.... so if anybody can suggest other possible causes I am up for it.
Password that the has characters that devices don't tolerate?
WIFI channel that the devices don't tolerate (ch 13 for 2.4Ghz for example)?
WIFI encryption that the devices don't tolerate (WEP) ?