GlobalWin FOP38

G

Just wondered if anyone could recommend this HS to me that have tried it as i am still getting 64C under load of my 1400Mhz T'Bird, I was planning to clock it at 1575Mhz maybe 1600 but i am currently worried that if i do the temperature will go through the roof!

My Rig is as follows:

Abit KG7-lite M/B
Athlon 1400Mhz @266Mhz FSB @ 1.75V
Taisol CEK733092 HSF
Voodoo 3 3000
256MB pc2100 Ram

I have it all in a Midi Tower case with a Intake fan, but airflow is still quite limited. Current temperatures are, Room = 29C
System = 39C
CPU = 57C Idle 64 Loaded

Thanks in advance!!!

The only trouble of being punctual is there is nobody there to appricate it!!!!

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Hmmmm...the FOP38 is more "old-school"...Cools pretty well, but is as loud as heck!

I would try either the Alpha PAL 8045 or the ThermalRight SK6.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I concure with Red Zealot. Get a better HSF combo like those or even Kanie Hedgehog or its big brother when it comes out the Hedgehog W (Wing). Make sure you have a good fan with any heatsink that you by. Make sure you get a good CFM fan with it.

That is a warm case. You are keeping way too much heat in your case. You need more flow-through. Here is a web-site that, if you are up to it, might help you in dramatically decreasing your internal case temp.

http://www.2cooltek.com/index.html

But if you are looking for the lowest tech solution.... take the sides off your case and put a box fan next to it. Farrrrr enough away that the magnetic feild doesn't screw up you HDD and other components.

Good Luck.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, there's a point where the processor radiates so much heat, Cu ends up being a little better than Al.

But mid-60's sounds high. If you're *careful*, you might shave off the pads and reseat the heatsink. You can get a shim-spacer if you're worried about bumping/moving the case.

<font color=red>Apocalypse; Now.</font color=red>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Those temps are a little high if you plan on overclocking. I'd recommend one of the big boys: Alpha's 8045 or the Swiftech MC-462-A.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

Well slight problem with all of those HSF combo's and that is the Wonga they cost! I am kinda on a limited budget!!!!

RT2002

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I'm using a GlobalWin CAK38. The idle temp on my TB 1.4G is 40C. I haven't OC'd it yet. If the GlobalWin style is familiar to you then the CAK38 might work out. The good thing is that it's not going to cost a fortune either.

RT2002

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
One other thing...is your room ambient really 29C? That's a damn hot room temp. You sure you don't want to give your CPU a headstart and keep it in a slightly cool environment?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Or you could go with water cooling which isn't really affected by room temperature.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I was like that in July and August. My PC and I, hehe, were in an unairconditioned room at about that temp.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

The room temperature varies depending on how many rigs i got turned on! I'm in a warmish room in my house, no air con!
My problem is my desk is near the radiator so with the server and the 1.4Ghz rig on it can reach about 27C other times when i got the other rigs on aswell it is approx 30C.

one more question! Will i need a shim over the cpu cause i heard that the GlobalWin's put massive pressure on the springs and can crack the core!

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Buy a Thermaltake Volcano 6u+, should run $10 or less and cool efficiently for you. Or wait until the Volcano 7 is out and about, 60mm heatsink with a built on 80-60mm fandapter, should be a decent sink.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."