Glowing/bleeding/streaking

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Some of you may have read from another thread that I had problems with glowing and streaking with my 19" Cornerstone monitor. A light object on a dark background will glow or bleed really bad into the background for .5 inches or a little more. This isn't just limited to black and white either. When I play games and move around, stuff streaks. Well, I've hooked up another monitor, this one being an LG 17" and it does the same thing. Could this be my video card?

AMD Athlon XP 1900+, Asus A7V333, 512mb DDR RAM
PNY Geforce4 Ti4400, Win2k

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
If both monitors do this there's a higher chance that it's your video card.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Hmm. Well, if it was the video card I figured it would change at difference resolutions and refresh rates. But it does it all the time. That sure would suck though. This card is just a few weeks old and it's the second one I've had ordered because the first one was defective. GEEZ!! My luck totally sucks.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Do you have any magnets or anything like that near your monitor? Those can cause similar effects at times, as well as strange colors.

Also, try the 19" on a different computer and see if it has the same problem.

It can be said that smoking is one of the leading cause of statistics.

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
No magnets or motors or anything like that near the monitor. I've already sent the Cornerstone off to be repaired, so I guess they'll let me know if there's anything wrong with it. It had annoying moire patterns I couldn't get rid of, and also the streaking.

The thing is I never noticed any of this on my Generic 17" I had before. I got rid of it though because it had a two inch wide vertical stripe down the middle of it where everything looked different. I posted a few threads here a while back dealing with that. But I never had that monitor on the replacement card from PNY that I received a few weeks ago. So I guess it may be YET ANOTHER bad card. If it is, you know that would be FOUR bad cards I have had in the last 3 years??!!! What luck!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Oh I just remembered. Are you using old speakers? The old ones don't have the megnetic shielding and it really screws up the monitors quite a bit. I have a old 17" and it got totally screwed by these old speakers. Also do you have a subwoofer nearby (within 1 meter?). That can also cause some interference. The subwoofer puts out a much larger megnetic field around it even if it is shielded. I put my subwoofer as far away as possible. (to a limit, it's about 2 meters away right now from my precious 19" Sony Trinitron)

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Ah, you may be on to something there. My speakers are nearly five years old. I bet we've found the mole. Good job, Crash! That stinks though because now I have to buy new speakers. :(

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Good job, Crash!
???

Are you getting a new replacement monitor too? Cause buying new speakers won't necessarily help if there's permanent damage to your monitor.

What's the deal with lampshades, I mean it's a lamp, why would you want a shade? :smile:

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Well, if they can't fix the Cornerstone, then I'm gonna buy a new one. I got it through my dad's business, so they either shipped it off Friday or they're gonna ship it Monday. My dad refuses to help me pay for a quality monitor. All he wants to do is bring something they have over at the office over here. So I guess I'll just buy one myself.

Are pretty much all speakers now equipped with that magnetic protection? I mean, current products. I'm looking for a 2.0 set. All I want is two speakers. I don't need a subwoofer or any of that stuff.

PNY Geforce4 Ti4400, Win2k<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rebe7254 on 06/22/02 11:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well see if you don't have a subwoofer, then I'm not sure if it's the problem. Cause usually the smaller speakers have very limited megentic shields and since the manufacturers expect you to place them on either side of your monitor, that shouldn't be a problem. Usually it's the subwoofer that's the problem and that's what happened to our monitor.

Almost all speakers nowadays are fitted with megentic protection, but the little speakers shouldn't be much of a problem anyways.

I'd suggest you not go out and buy a new monitor yet. Maybe get your dad to bring something from the work and buy new speakers and see if it gets messed up again. If not, then you can be pretty sure it was the speakers, but if it's still bad, then maybe it's something with the video card.

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
So do the subwoofers come with magnetic shield protection? I was looking at an Altec Lansing 2.1 AVS 300 system that's around $40 or so. It mentioned the two satellite speakers having magnetic shielding, but it didn't say anything about the subwoofer. Do you think I could safely put the subwoofer under my desk? My computer desk is solid oak wood, so maybe it's enough to block the magnetic output. Then again maybe not; I don't know.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well the two satellites are obviously megnetically shielded since they are specced as such. Since the sobwoofer isn't, then it probably isn't. I's say put it as far away as possible. I'd say to be on the safe side, put it as far away as possible. It'll only help you.

MisterMaya

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
There's a way you can check and see if something's magnetic field is effecting the monitor. Takes two people though, most of the time. You gotta have one person stare at the screen while the other person rotates the object in place. Because of the way the magnetic field works, changing its direction will cause subtle changes to the image on the screen, usually along the lines of certain corners of the image brightening or darkening. (you don't get color changes until the magnet is *really* close.)

Oh, the exception is down-firing subwoofers. For those the magnetic field is symmetric along the vertical axis, so you'd have to turn those on their sides to see if the field is reaching your screen.

-- Monkeys? What does this .sig have to do with monkeys? --