Question Glue on a laptop screen! How to remove!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieLondon

Prominent
May 7, 2022
Yes, glue on a laptop screen! Not my finest hour!

I was repairing a broken hinge on my Lenovo laptop and I manage to drip a spec of glue on the screen. It dried rock solid before I noticed. It is type of resin glue that dries quickly.

Any ideas on how I could remove it? I think nail polish remover or acetone might not be a good idea. On a positive note - the hinge is working fine now! :)

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, glue on a laptop screen! Not my finest hour!

I was repairing a broken hinge on my Lenovo laptop and I manage to drip a spec of glue on the screen. It dried rock solid before I noticed. It is type of resin glue that dries quickly.

Any ideas on how I could remove it? I think nail polish remover or acetone might not be a good idea. On a positive note - the hinge is working fine now! :)
I would first contact the glue manufacturer for a recommendation.

If you NEVER hear from them, I might start with "Goo Gone" which is an orange oil based product. Get the non-spray bottle. Put some on a cloth and with the display placed face UP, allow to soak on the glue. I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS WILL HELP OR DAMAGE THE SCREEN. Goo Gone is an oily product (orange oil based) so be aware of collateral damage. You will have to use standard non-ammonia window cleaner to clean the oil residue up. I do think Goo Gone is less impactful than acetone (nail polish remover).

In addition to the above, DO NOT apply pressure or pry on or use metal tools on a screen surface. A laptop screen is made up of several VERY thin layers, most of which are made of glass, which will shatter very easily. Once a layer breaks the entire panel must be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.