atena

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
hi, i have a big problem.

i tried to format my computer by rebooting from my windows cd. something went wrong, i had to shut down, and now when i try to reboot, it reads the disc, then assigns it to driver Q, then says "not ready to read driver Q:" and when i abort it tells me theres a glue part error.

i really am a noob and i hope someone can give me some help

thank you very much

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Tell me what XP cd you have.
Also, can you get your hands on a 98 bootable floppy? Ask around. Virtually everyone has it.
Do you have a floppy drive on your comp?

Tip:

If you're running XP, and something goes wrong requiring a reinstall; DO NOT FORMAT (those were the days of W98). You run fdisk off the boot floppy at the "A" prompt; then delete the non-DOS partition.

Get back to me on that stuff, and I'll walk you through the process to get you back on beam.

atena

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Tell me what XP cd you have.
Also, can you get your hands on a 98 bootable floppy? Ask around. Virtually everyone has it.
Do you have a floppy drive on your comp?

Tip:

If you're running XP, and something goes wrong requiring a reinstall; DO NOT FORMAT (those were the days of W98). You run fdisk off the boot floppy at the "A" prompt; then delete the non-DOS partition.

Get back to me on that stuff, and I'll walk you through the process to get you back on beam.

oh wow, thank you i didn´t think i´d get a reply

so, i have a packard bell laptop, no floppy drive. the windows cd 's i have are master cd's i created myself as told when first installed the laptop (PB do not supply those ;6)

it was running with XP. what i did was rebooting the computer with the first master cd, then chose fdisc. then i got quite confused and that{s probably where i did something wrong. trying to delete my initial secondary partition, i tried several things, i don´t remember everything ;6. last thing i know i try to reboot once again and get the glue parts error message. i can still enter the bios if i hit f2, but the computer won´t boot on the cd.

i have done some research about glue part error and found some people having the same problem (always ith PB). apparently it has something to do with tatoo (?)

i´m sorry if i don´t use the correct words for everything. thanks again for your help :)

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Assuming you have a USB port, get yourself a USB external floppy drive. Bizrite has one for $18-$19US.

You'll need one to get out of this mess.

The cd's you have are not a native, installation XP among them. I don't know exactly quite what they are. If they are full recovery discs, you have a chance to get back to what you were at the beginning.

You still have to answer some questions for me:

1. Can you get your hands on a boot floppy? From a friend? Neighbor?

2. Can you go into the BIOS to make sure that the boot order is CD-Rom drive - floppy drive - hard drive? Look for the boot page.

3. Can you go into the BIOS and make sure that legacy USB is enabled? You'll have to scurry around in there until you find it. It has to be enabled for the floppy drive to work. Probably Peripherals.

4. In all of your comps' documentation (papers), do you have the Product Key anywhere?

5. Can you tell me the exact model laptop?

6. Can you tell me more in-depth about the cd's that you made?

7. Are you comfortable (with good directions), doing some tasks in black screen DOS?

8. If you can come up with your Product Key, is it possible to borrow anybody's XP cd? You can use theirs' to do the install, and use your key to activate.

atena

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
1. afriend can make me a bootfloppy. he says he can also make me a boot cd. i would really like to avoid buying a floppy drive. does it have to be a floppy? would a cd work, or could i pass the content of the bootfloppy on a usb key (hope that's what it's called)?

2. i made the boot order as you told me :)

3. legacy usb enabled

4. yes i have the windows key ( thats the one you're talking about right?)

5. it's a packard bell easynoteH5300

6. ok, when i bought the laptop, it came with windows xp, office pack, norton antivirus and a lot of other software. first thing i was told to do was to create 3 master cds which contain the install files for all those programs. i think i created them through the packard bell smart restore centre. they have been checked afterwards and thus should be working fine. if possible i'd really like to be able to install the office pack and the norton again, so i hope i can use those cds at some point.

7. yes, if you tell me exactly what to do, i think i can work in dos but i am unable to know myself what to type

8. yes, i can borrow somebody's xp cd but as i said, if i can use my cds in order to install the office pack, it'd be great

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
By all means try the cd; but I'm not sure how it will work by not getting an "A" prompt. But please consider getting the floppy at some point. Makes it a whole lot easier to start over.

Put the contents of the boot floppy on it.

When you get the DOS prompt for the cd (this should not be "C"):

Type fdisk.
Say yes to large drive support.
Enter choice: [3] (hit enter)
Enter choice: [4] (hit enter)
Delete the [1] partition (hit enter)
You wish to continue [y] (hit enter) This line may not occur.
Esc
Pop in your first Master cd.
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot.

That should start up the re-installation.

Good luck!

atena

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
thank you :)

i will try it tonight.

one more question i forgot to say my hdd has two partitions. i hope this doesn´t change anything for the procedure... if yes, sorry that i forgot to mention that.

ideally i would like to change the partition (it was 8gig for the system and 27 the other partition, but 8gig doesn't seem to be enough because i have several programs that i need, and lack of space was what caused the problem which made me want to make an fdisc)

so will the procedure you gave me erase all partitions? then i shgould be able to partition again with my mastercd, right?