Question Glued CPU cooler to motherboard ?

bruh1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
Ok so I bought this Third-party cooler to install on a LGA 1200 CPU. My motherboard is a mATX Gigabyte H410mH V3. I installed the mounting brackets and the pins when I tried to clasp the cooler to the bracket, a small little brick(Voltage regulator?) on the motherboard was taking up the space and I could not clasp it because clasp would have to go through the brick.
So instead I came up with a plan to glue the cooler. I removed the mounting bracket from the motherboard, installed the cooler to the bracket and added a little glue to the legs of the mounting bracket. Then I just placed the cooler on the motherboard with the legs on the little holes. I didnt push the bracket in. I left it to dry in front of a fan for like 30mins. Then I checked the idle temperatures in BIOS it was idling at 40C. I also probably had botched the thermal paste.
Then I ran a 3 minutes long stress test using Intel XTU. It reached a maximum temperature of 74C during the test and after the test it fell down to 42~41C. Are these temps fine for such a botched job or should I completely remove the cooler and buy a new one. Keep in mind that the ambient temps are 27C and its very humid.

Also do you guys think there is any danger of the cooler falling down ?

bruh1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
Obviously wrong mounting kit.
You are facing a big risk of it falling off and damaging MB and/or GPU, see if you can tie it to something.
That cooler supports LGA 1156/1155/1151 and according to intel all 115X coolers are compatible with LGA 1200 but yeah, mounting holes are just a bit off for this cooler. I will try to check if the cooler wiggles and then decide if I want to tie it or something.