GM Teases New Corvette Camouflaged in Gran Turismo 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Doesn't all that draping mess with the aerodynamics of the car. I would think it would cause tons of extra drag.[/citation]
Yes, but it will not affect the 0-60 time which is what they seem to be advertising in this release.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]BPT747[/nom]Yes, but it will not affect the 0-60 time which is what they seem to be advertising in this release.[/citation]

and i'm sure GM did their 0-60 tests with the drapes off.

G

Will be interesting how they will implement the difference between the handling of the C6 and the C7, on a console platform, that of course has some semi fine controllers available. But will the game simulate leaf springs and coil overs separately, and what about double wishbone? C6 uses leaf springs in the back and is decently fast for its price. Will all this be a factor, or are we talking statistics here like 0-60, max speed obtained and other irrelevant things a 10 year old would care about when buying a car?

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
This isn't the first camouflaged car to appear in a racing sim, It's not even the first time for GT5. Nissan did the same thing several years ago with the GTR, GT5 Prologue had a Black Mask version of the car with a blacked out interior and cloth concealing the front end.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]BPT747[/nom]Yes, but it will not affect the 0-60 time which is what they seem to be advertising in this release.[/citation]0-60 is cool and all, but that's really NOT what they're advertising. It's just one factor. That's why they're releasing it as a car you can drive in GT5, so you can tear it up on twisty tracks. If you actually were a car enthusiast, and played sims, you'd know the Vettes are a really great mix of handling and power for the money. The new Corvette (C7) is a significant improvement on C6, which was no slouch. The C7 is lighter, too.

I must say that I've preferred Forza over GT for a while now.

cesthree

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I'll pass on purchasing an automobile from a corporation that has been listed in the "top" 18 Largest Annual Corporate Losses of All Time thrice for a total of ~$100B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_corporate_profits_and_losses

Don't even get me started on how poor of a performer Chevy is in the D-Segment.

Bring me the 2015 Honda NSX, thank you. It is what "Made in America" should be for vehicles aimed at the USDM. Honda has done remarkably well considering that Japan has had to recover from a tsunami.

What's GM's excuse? Oh yeah, the executive committee has been filled with bumble-heads for the last few decades and engineers are akin to beer-guzzling frat boys. Pass!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoodhill/2012/08/15/general-motors-is-headed-for-bankruptcy-again/

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I see a touch of Chrysler Crossfire in that rear shot. Yuck.

[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]People still buy US built cars? eeewww..[/citation]You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Corvettes are fantastic track cars. A base spec C6 ZR1 lapped the Nurburgring in 7:26.4, on stock, street tires. Not only did it beat the 2009 GT-R, but a Ferrari Enzo was only 0.7 seconds faster. What's even more impressive is that the vette had a six-speed manual transmission, while the 5-10x as expensive Enzo has F1-style paddle shifters. And guess which car is actually practical to drive around town and affordable to maintain?

Status
Not open for further replies.