Gmail, Yahoo, Others Also Hit in Hotmail Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I only give my email password out to people who use the Hotmail logo in their emails. I'm pretty sure that makes them official, even though I use Yahoo mail. Hmm.....

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Never enter your password (or any important information) into a website that you arrived at via a link. Always go to important sites (email, bank, etc) by typing in the address, or a bookmark.

It's that easy people.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
If anyone needs their e-mail password secured, just relay your e-mail, password, and security question and answer to me and I'll do it for free! Plus, I'll need your Social Security number to verify your identity.

G

@JasonAkkerman:

Yeah, it'll be that easy until you get hit by a DNS hijacking attack. There are two kinds of people that get duped by phishing attacks: The arrogant, and the ignorant. Don't be either.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]kaseykrehbiel[/nom]@JasonAkkerman:Yeah, it'll be that easy until you get hit by a DNS hijacking attack. There are two kinds of people that get duped by phishing attacks: The arrogant, and the ignorant. Don't be either.[/citation]

While you are correct that a DNS hijack could occur, I was simply referring to the context of the article. Regardless of the fact that DNS hijacking is a much less effective way of securing user information than phishing (it's also less prevalent) , but if somehow someone did manage to compromise your system and change your DNS settings you have much larger problems.

G

there are some sites that in order to reply to a topic,you need to login in your GMail or facebook account.
I believe this also could be a serious breach in security,especially since many blogs are not related.
Makes me not dare to reply on any but a trusted blog; or use a scam/crap/spam email, which they can have the password to,and access to the tens or hundreds of daily spam mails.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
ahahah all you stupid Gmail fan boys who yesterday put "thats why gmail is better", blah, blah, blah... not so smart are you now. Besides... is a phishing scam. If you are stupid enough to put your login info on a phishing site you deserve to lose your data.

Envinyanta

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I think I speak for everyone when I say, 'Ugh!' There's nothing more annoying than a phishing scam that forces you to change your passwords for everything 'just in case.'

Just a little over-dramatic? I can think of a LOT more annoying things than my e-mail provider taking an extra step to keep my account secure. (like, oh, having all my personal information stolen, my credit ruined, etc. Not to mention everything else in the world) Given that most businesses require password changes for employees on a regular basis anyway (including all the ones I've worked at for the past 10 years), I'm pleased to see Google taking the extra step 'just in case' to help protect its users. If that's the extent of the inconvenience then we should be grateful.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but I click on every link in my Spam box and fill out every form it links to. For some reason, my bank keeps withdrawing money from my checking account. Anyone have the same issues with their bank?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I just want to be clear; this article warns potential victims of phishing scams. There was no breach of security by Google, Yahoo, etc. Right?

lenell86

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]I don't know about you guys, but I click on every link in my Spam box and fill out every form it links to. For some reason, my bank keeps withdrawing money from my checking account. Anyone have the same issues with their bank?[/citation]
humor fail 0/10

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]ahahah all you stupid Gmail fan boys who yesterday put "thats why gmail is better", blah, blah, blah... not so smart are you now. Besides... is a phishing scam. If you are stupid enough to put your login info on a phishing site you deserve to lose your data.[/citation]

lol that's what I love about dumbasses "this is better than that" (mac is better than pc, pc is better than mac, coke is better than pepsi pepsi is better than coke etc...) when realistically most products are the same and everyone is suppose to be sheeped to one side or another. I've got gmail yahoo aol (blah stupid aol ;) and hotmail. guess what, they all do the SAME THING lol. one isn't better than the other although well I don't know if you can search emails in yahoo I don't use it enough to know. but you can in hotmail and gmail. is anything passworded 100% secure? no. lol.

but back on topic, I haven't changed my passwords.. I doubt I was affected but even if I was i really don't care. ppl can go in my email all they want there isn't much of any use inside my email accounts.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Another reason to actually read where that hypertext link is going. People call me paranoid, but I'm not the one changing his password every week.

G

i knew it that it was not a hotmail exclusive scam... the list i came across contains all hotmail, gmail, yahoo, comcast, aol... the list goes on. btw for all the gmail fan boys i gotta report that the only working passwords i found belonged to gmail users.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]pwned[/nom]i knew it that it was not a hotmail exclusive scam... the list i came across contains all hotmail, gmail, yahoo, comcast, aol... the list goes on. btw for all the gmail fan boys i gotta report that the only working passwords i found belonged to gmail users.[/citation]

I would like to say that it's rare that you find people admitting to federal crimes online, but unfortunately it happens quite often. My favorite are the people that post videos of themselves committing crimes on YouTube and such.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hey at least they care enough to warn us and enable us to defend our email and logins. a minute or our time isnt worth the hassel of losing all our information to some unknown phisher/hack.

wave84

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I suspect this is not the ordinary phishing scam. Too many accounts have been compromised, including my Yahoo account, and I have been working in the IT industry for 10 years. My computers are all clean and I never pay attention to scam email messages.

What if a major social networking website got compromised (hacked, or some employee sold information)? All of them require you to enter your yahoo/hotmail/gmail/etc credentials to retrieve your friend list. They claim not to store the passwords, but I bet almost all of them do (maybe not the really major ones). That would explain the "all of a sudden" publishing of the passwords and, come to think of it, was bound to happen sooner or later.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.[/citation]

Yes, we can!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have tried various email clients over the years and I have to say Gmail does the best job at filtering Spam. I sent a encrypted file/folder to myself with some pictures of my car in it. Gmail scanned it for viruses before it allowed me to download the file. I did change my password in Gmail since this stuff started just in case. Not that I have secret stuff but that's not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.